What can i say about todays classic signature dish of Karnataka ? “Akki Rotti ” actually needs no intro to any kannadiga.For people who are wondering what this Akki rotti(stress on “tt” ) is , let me translate it as roti / flatbread made from rice.There are many ways in which Akki rotti is made in Karnataka , among that today i’ll share “ Masala Akki Rotti Recipe” . Some dishes never fail to bore you …though i’ve been eating this dish since ages, it still remains one of my favorites .Its so addictive,delicious n healthy…. Hot hot akki rotti straight from pan with butter and chutney..aahh !!.. just whats required to keep you full for hours….
The preparation of Akki rotti is simple and similar to Ragi rotti which i have shared before.Just replace ragi flour with rice flour rest same. You can get creative and add whatever you want to the dough to flavor it as per your choice. Like grated carrot/finely chopped carrots/capsicums/dil leaves/hyacinth beans/cucumber/onion/methi leaves etc.A perfect akki rotti has to be soft as well crisp . So here i share my recipe to make ” Perfect Akki Rotti ” , don’t forget to read NOTES section; before you try making it….
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 1/2 cup or more coconut Grated
- 2 medium onion chopped
- 4 - 5 Green Chillies finely chopped
- few string Curry Leaves finely chopped
- few string Coriander leaves finely chopped
- a handful or 2 Dill leaves( sabsige Soppu ) -finely chopped ( optional)
- 1 tbsp Soaked Bengal gram ( optional ; gives nice crunchy taste in between )
- 1 Tsp Jeera
- Oil - to roast
- Add onion, coconut,green chilli, coriander, Curry leaves,dil leaves,soaked bengal gram,cumin seeds and salt in a wide mixing bowl.Mix it nicely by crushing onions with your hands for few minutes. This brings out more flavors from them.
- Add rice flour to it.Start adding water little by little and mix it nicely to form a dough.
- The dough should be such that its easy to spread / pat with hands. It should not be too hard ,smooth-firm dough.
- There are two ways in which you can spread the rotti on the tawa :
- Grease a plastic sheet / aluminum foil / parchment paper /banana leaf .Take an orange sized dough and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin pancake.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Make a hole on the rotti so that they get cooked uniformly.
- Heat the griddle.When its hot ,put the sheet on the griddle ( rotti side facing the griddle ). Cook the rotti along with the sheet for 30 sec and then slowly remove the foil.Rotti gets transferred from sheet to the griddle.
- Use two - three tawas to make rottis using method 2 . Grease the cold tawa and take orange sized dough and pat it evenly on the cold griddle to a medium thin pancake.Switch on flame and cook on medium flame. To make next roti , take another cold greased tawa and pat on them . The 1 st tawa can be re used after cooling it . So you keep rotating tawas while making each roti in this method . Do not attempt to pat the dough on hot tawa as the dough does not spread well. So you keep changing the tawas to make rotis .How to cool tawa quickly ? refer NOTE No. 3
- Once you have patted rottis using method 1 or 2 ,cook them medium heat.Pour some oil in the holes and all over the rotti.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the rotti and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the rotti becomes crispy.
- Akki rotti is ready to be served. Serve it coconut chutney / chutney powder + yoghurt / chutney powder + butter . Enjoy them as your heart weekend breakfast / Snack / Dinner .
- Variations : In the above recipe for extra flavor i have added dil leaves and soaked bengal gram. As a change you can try these variations.. they too taste yum. To the dough you can also add grated carrots/ finely chopped capsicums / grated cucumber /cooked tender hyacinth beans / corn / handful of crushed roasted groundnuts /methi leaves.Addition of any veggie would add to the nutrition value.Mix and match to suit your taste buds.
- Always grease the surface before patting the rotti also wet your hands with water in between the process to helps you pat them evenly .
- How to cool tawa quickly ? Once the rotti on one tawa is cooked take it off from flame, remove the rotti.To reduce the temperature of tawa faster, keep the backside of the pan under running water for 1-2 mins.After about 2-3 mins, tawa is ready and you can pat next rotti.
- You can add left over rice also to these rotti. Finely mash and mix with rice flour.
- If your akki rotti is becoming hard then may be the dough consistency is too tough or addition of coconut is very less. Sometimes if the rice flour is not good also rotti becomes hard.
- To make akki rotti soft you can make the dough little watery / mix using lukewarm water / increase coconut quantity / add mashed cooked rice.