ALOO BHUJIA SABZI / POTATO STIR FRY - NORTH INDIAN STYLE
Everybody cooks potato and it is usually one of the favorite around home especially the kids (me too...)The best part is it is so easy to prepare and using small variations you can make a million different dishes.
Aloo ki sabzi is a popular side dish that is prepared in every Indian household.There are many ways to prepare this side dish.Awesome combination as sabzi for chapati/roti/poori/rice. The recipe I am talking about today is "Aloo bhujia Sabzi / aloo sabzi dry". This North Indian style Aloo sabzi is a simple and delicious dry dish,the main flavour of this dish comes from the flavour of carom seeds.Ajwain infused potato roast is simply irresistible.It's a kids pleasure recipe too.
This is my mum's recipe and takes me down the memory lane!My dad was in a transferable job.There are different pros and cons of job relocation and major advantage is exposure to new locales. This recipe my mom learnt in Bihar from one of her Bihari neighbours and was an instant hit at home.This used to be my favorite side dish as a kid and i used to pester her almost everyday to pack them in my lunchbox.She also used make them for our long train journeys as a combo with chapathi /poori. It would remain fresh even after 2-3 days.
I prepared this sabji yesterday and served with pulkhas. Both works wonder and we had a filling and satisfying dinner.Quick to make and absolutely delightful!So here is my recipe of the simple stir fry of potatoes flavored with aromatic Indian spices (since original source of recipe was a Bihari neighbour , i assume its Bihari style )
ALOO BHUJIA SABZI
- Wash and cut the potato into thin slices.You need not peel the potatoes.Slice the onion
- Heat oil n a pan/wok, add cumin seeds and tejpatta,allow spluttering.
- Now add potato and onion slices. Saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add salt and turmeric powder, mix well. Cover and cook in medium to slow flame until potato is half cooked takes around 5-7 minutes in slow flame, stir in intervals.
- When the potato is half cooked,add carom seeds .Mix well .Continue with cover and cooking process .
- When the potato is about 90 % cooked , add red chilly powder and garam masala powder .Mix well . Cook until potato gets fully cooked. Off the flame. Serve hot with phulka/chapathi / poori/thepla/ any type of flat bread /rice. I love eating it as such too. Do try this recipe and you will realize how sometimes a simple dish can taste so divine,Happy cooking!!!
- Do not add water to potatoes while cooking.It will change the taste. Instead add some salt to the veggies while cooking. Due to this onion n potato will leave some moisture n help in cooking.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!