ALOO BONDA RECIPE / POTATO BONDA / BATATA VADA
Hi Friends ....
How are you all ? Hows the weather out there at you place ? In Bangalore its so cloudy,gloomy and windy. When the weather is so dull ,nothing but a couple of hot bondas plus a cup of tea/coffee can make me refreshed.He He..i know its just a reason to binge .. but tell me who doesn't love bajji bondas?? Probably for any one.. all these street foods are a weakness. Though these bajii bondas are incredibly easy to make at home, we still get excited and tempted when we see a cart vendor selling them. That's how crowd pulling the aroma is. So here i share today,recipe of ever popular, my most favorite " Aloo Bonda / Potato Bonda ".
Potato Bonda is a popular tea time snack throughout India.In south India, its called as aloo bonda and in Mumbai it is known as batata vada. They are basically deep fried balls made of spicy potatoes with a spicy gram flour covering.Crispy from outside and soft inside,they taste yummmm..Forget your weight watch and calorie count once in a while and just indulge...Only thing is don't forget to make them in small quantity as they are simply irresistible and you might end up feeling guilty cos of overeating.. ..Here it goes...
ALOO BONDA RECIPE
To the Batter
- Wash and boil the potatoes in a cooker till soft.Peel and mash them well.
- Add grated carrots,chopped pudina and coriander leaves to it.
- Heat oil in a kadai.Add urad dal ,mustard & jeera.Let the mustard seeds splutter and dal turn light brown.Now add hing,curry leaves,green chillies and onion.Saute till onion turns translucent.Add turmeric powder ,mix well and switch off.
- Pour this tempering to potato mix. Add salt and lime juice.Mix everything well. Taste test.Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the batter.In a mixing bowl, mix besan,rice flour,ajwain,haldi,chilly powder,soda and salt. Add water little by little.Mix such that no lumps are formed. Batter should be of dosa batter consistency.Add hot oil to the batter and mix well.
- Now divide the potato stuffing into small lemon size balls.
- In a kadai, heat the oil for frying the bondas. Drop the potato masala balls in the batter, make a coating of batter on the balls and slowly drop it in to the hot oil.Keep the flame medium.
- Cook all sides equally till golden brown and crisp .Once done transfer the bondas on a absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately, hot hot as it is or with mint chutney or coconut chutney or with ketchup .
- Spices in the stuffing can be tweaked as per your choice.Like you can add garlic /ginger / coriander powder /red chilli powder etc.
- In the above i have used pudina and garam masala powder for extra flavor.If you want simple, you can omit them. But i would recommend to try with pudina.
- Instead of or along with carrot,you can use fresh peas / corn / finely chopped capsicum/ finely chopped beans etc for Mixed Vegetable Bonda.
- If doing for festivals or functions , you can omit onions.
- In the above , i have used rice flour to make the bondas little crisp.You can also add cornflour instead of that.
- Soda and addition of hot oil will make bondas crispy. If you want you can omit soda but hot oil is a must. Else texture of outer cover of bonda will not come good.
- The batter should be of right consistency.Too thin, will absorb lot of oil, if thick it will not cook properly.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!