AVALAKKI KHARA PONGAL / SPICY BEATEN RICE PONGAL / POHA KICHADI
In Bangalore, weather has turned pretty unpredictable.Its been cloudy,raining n chilly whole day from past few days.One of my favorite things to do on such weather conditions is to just laze around till the Sun would just break over the trees and wake up to have a cup of coffee waiting for you. This was my routine Sunday mornings before marriage.It continued for sometime even after marriage,but now after the lil monsters are born , never can i dream of such relaxed Sunday mornings.I wonder why they wake up so early on weekends ?
Today's recipe is one of those, which fits perfectly for a winter morning - it is " Avalakki Pongal / Beaten rice Pongal ". Pongal is a very famous South Indian delicacy, made with rice, moong dal & tempered with spices like pepper & cumin. And it tastes best when it is hot and spicy. But rice for breakfast has been banned in my family :( ..Rice is meant only for lunch n only sometimes for dinner.So in this recipe, i have substituted rice with poha and the best part is nobody can even make out its not rice :)
It is said that breakfast is meant to be had like a king.To suit the saying poha pongal is quite a heavy dish & leaves you fuller.But its nutritious too.This recipe is apt even on the days of fasting.
This recipe i got it from my Mom.She loves watching many cookery shows.And makes a note of new simple recipes and shares with me.This is one of those easy to make cuisine which has become a hit in my family.
I am sure you too will enjoy this recipe...
AVALAKKI KHARA PONGAL
For Seasoning :
- Roast the moongdal on medium flame till it turns slightly red. Cook it along with the water and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker till you hear 4-5 whistles. Alternatively, if you are running out of time, skip the roasting part and directly pressure cook moong dal and keep aside.Moong dal should be mushy.
- Mean while, wash the poha,drain all the water and keep aside .
- In a heavy bottom vessel / kadai do the seasoning.Heat ghee Add mustard, jeera, crushed pepper corns,hing,turmeric.When the musturd splutters, add curry leaves,red chilli ,ginger,green chilli. Fry till ginger changes it color.
- Now add the cooked moong dal ,salt and water to the seasoning.Mix well .Bring it to boil. This mixture should be little watery .
- Once the dal mixture starts boiling, add poha and mix well. You will observe that poha absorbs water quickly .If required add little more water.
- Simmer the stove and allow it boil for 4-5 mins so that poha is cooked and absorbs the flavors of the spices added.
- When the consistency turns semisolid turn off the heat .Garnish with roasted cashews, grated fresh or dry coconut, and a serving of Ghee. (optional)Serve hot spicy Poha Pongal with coconut chutney or tangy tamarind gojju.
- Aromatic,Mouth Watering Poha Pongal
- Serve the pongal when it is hot. Else,poha will absorb the liquid and turn it into mass.
- You can adjust the consistency of pongal as per your choice .Some like it soupy and some as semisolid type.
- Instead of fully moong dal, you can use moong and tuvar dal in 60:40 ratio.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!