AVAREKALU SAGU / FIELD BEANS CURRY / SURTI LILVA GRAVY
Today i have for you a simple yet delicious gravy made from the seasonal fresh Avarekalu.Few days before i had posted Avarekalu Mixture and today its going to be" Avarekalu Saagu / Field Beans Gravy / Mochai Beans Curry ". The preparation is very simple and easy to make and goes well with poori,chapathi,dosa,idli,rice etc.One of the favorite dish among localities...
Avarekalu as known in Kannada are known as field beans or hyacinth beans or lablab in english. In tamil, they are called as mochai ,in gujarati surti papdi and in Marathi Vaal.In Bangalore during the winter everywhere you can see these beans.We make so many dishes using them and infact during this season "avarekalu mela "too happens in Bangalore where a complete street is full of dishes made with Avarekalu. We have Avarekalu dosa,Avarekalu Idli,Avarekalu nippat,Avarekalu kodbale ,avarekalu upma etc .Today's dish , saagu needs no intro to any kannadiga. Its a coconut based gravy with a beautiful blend of flavors and spices.I have already shared veg saagu here, n today its avarekalu sagu. Here we go.. do try .. i am sure you will love it...
To Grind :
To temper :
- For this sagu , you can use field beans as such or can deskin it .Deskinned field beans sagu is more tasty .
Deskining the hyacinth beans ( Hitikavare / Chilkavare )
- Separate the seeds from the fresh hyacinth beans.
- Soak peeled beans in water for 3-5 hours.
- Discard water from the beans and hold each bean between two fingers and press gently . The outer skin will slip off leaving behind only the inner seed. Continue the process for all the seeds.
Time to make saagu
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.Temper with mustard seeds and urad dal .When they splutter add broken red chillies, curry leaves and haldi. Add finely chopped onion .Fry till translucent.
- Add field beans and chopped potato . Saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add chopped tomato.Cook the veggies with some salt and water till done. Ensure that they are cooked just right - neither crunchy nor too mushy.You can either direct cook them or in microwave or cooker.i cooked in cooker for just 1 whistle .
- For the masala, grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala to a smooth paste adding some water.
- Add masala paste to the cooked veggies.Add salt and water.Mix well and allow it to boil well.When it boils,it thickens a bit. If requied add some more water to get the desired consistency. Switch off. Add chopped coriander leaves and squeeze lemon juice.
- Serve hot hot saagu with poori,chapathi,dosa,rava idly or even rice.
- If you don't get fresh field beans you can use dry ones too. In that case you have to soak in water for about 6-8 hours.
- If you want you can add pudina too.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!