BESAN LADDU / GRAM FLOUR SWEET BALL
In India ,any festival or religious occasion ,is incomplete without laddus. Besan laddu is one such very popular laddu that i am sure is adored by everyone who have had these even once. "Besan" is the hindi word for gram flour and " Laddu "we all know as Indian sweet ball. Besan laddu is prepared by using besan, ghee and sugar as the main ingredient. Rava and nuts add crunchiness to laddus. Its delicious and really melts in the mouth in all its true sense.
Besan ladoo is also a savior when you suddenly decide to make home based sweet for guests.So if you have these 3 ingredients in your kitchen, try making this right away and pat yourself seeing your guests doing ooooh and ahhh over them. .Honestly it does not take much time but requires a lot of patience.But the end result would turn as gorgeous and yummy as any store bought sweets.
The secret to this recipe is ofcourse the proportion and the right amount of roasting the besan flour in the ghee. . That done, the ladoos are a breeze and addictive.The only thing is – they are super high in fat and hence calories. But that amount of ghee deserves a special occasion and festivals are one such.
Now to the recipe....follow the recipe carefully and im sure the laddu's would turn perfect even if its your first experiment making them .
- Mix both sugar and cardamom in a mixer and make a powder of it. Keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan / kadai, add a spoon of ghee.Chop the cashew nuts,almonds into small pieces.Fry them in the ghee till golden brown and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai,mix besan, rava and ghee..NOTE : Initially the mixture looks crumble.You may be tempted to add more ghee. Adding more ghee may seem to give a manageable mixture. But, after shaping and cooling the balls, it may flatten and make one big lump.So hold on your temptation.If you keep on mixing it, you can see that the crumbled mixture will bind together and not stick to the pan.Stir the mixture on a low flame.Purpose for doing this is to get rid of the rawness of the chickpea flour
- Keep stirring the mixture till besan turns golden color and a nice aroma comes once it starts turning golden color. You need some patience and constant stirring here. It will take approx 20 mins on low flame.
- Switch of the flame and keep stirring the besan. After abt 5 mins, add
- sugar, cardamom mixture (as said in step 1) and dry fruits.Mix weel and keep aside to cool.
- When the mixture is warm / when you can handle it with your hand,.Take a handfull off besan mixture in hand make and make round balls, to form a ladoo. Repeat the same with rest of the mixture.The ladoos were moist in the beginning but after an hour it was perfect.
- Allow the Ladoo's to cool & then store in airtight container. It will remain fresh even after 2 weeks.Enjoy the ladoos!
These tips should help rescue if you go wrong with the preparation.
- Always roast the besan nicely else it will give a raw taste to the ladoos. Keep in mind that you need to keep roasting the mixture until aroma starts wafting through the kitchen - And no it wont be mild enough for you to miss .Don't keep the flame on high .
- Ghee is essential to this ladoo for 2 reasons - for adding flavor and as a binding agent . However,by adding too much ghee ,you will get very soft ladoos instead of a firm one .Do not lessen the quantity of ghee too as the mixture will be dry and you cannot make balls.
- Has the mixture turned dry and chalky ? Are you not able to shape the mixture into ladoos ? Then may be a ) Ghee quantity is less or b) you over roasted/heated the mixture or c) you allowed the mixture to cool a lot before making ladoo's. If this is the case you can try any one of the following methods to solve this problem -
- Sprinkle few drops of milk to bind the mixture, but this will lessen the shelf life of the ladoos.
- Add little more ghee .
- Re heat in low setting for 1 minute or so until you see the dough coming together.
- Also do not worry if your mixture feels too soft and your balls are flattening. If this happens, make all the balls and keep them on a plate and after 10 minutes roll each ball again between the palm of your hands. The mixture would have hardened a little and the balls will maintain their shape, this time
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!