BISI BELE BATH - BEATEN RICE / POHA / AVALAKKI BISIBELE BATH RECIPE
After learning to make home made Bisi Bele Bath powder , its time to cook " Bisi Bele Bath " and treat your taste buds with this spicy hot veggie lentil rice. As the name says " Bisi - Hot ; Bele - lentil ; Bath - Rice item " this dish is wholesome with rice, dal and vegetables and tastes best when served hot . I am feeling happy today to share with you all signature dish of Karnataka . Some dishes never fail to bore you ...though i ve been eating this dish since ages, it still remains one of my favorites .
As mentioned in my previous post , key item for a tasty bisi bele bath lies in a perfect bisi bele bath powder . Once that is ready , making bisi bele bath is actually a cake walk. It may sound tough / elaborate for beginners but once you try ,you will agree with me . If you want to finish it off really quick , then you can always use ready made bisibele bath powder available in stores.
Normally bisi bele bath is made with rice ( recipe here ) .But rice for breakfast has been banned in my family :( ..Rice is meant only for lunch n only sometimes for dinner.So in this recipe, i have substituted rice with poha and the best part is nobody can even make out its not rice :) . Just ensure that the end result is runny-khichdi-like consistency as they tend to thicken fast . Bisi bele bath with broken wheat also tastes great . Method for all remains same ,just replace poha with pre cooked rice / pre cooked broken wheat ( dalia ) **ref notes. So shall i proceed with the recipe ? Here it comes...
BEATEN RICE BISI BELE BATH
- Chop all the vegetables. Cook them in cooker or microwave with less water , it should not get over cooked .Don't add onion and capsicum .Keep it aside for later use.
- In a cooker ,cook lentils with turmeric by adding more water. Cook them mushy .When cooker has cooled, whisk through the cooked lentils to mash well.
- Mean while, just wash poha ,drain water and keep aside.Do not soak it .
- Heat oil/ghee in a heavy bottom pan / kadai and sauté diced onion and capsicum. Add salt .
- Add cooked vegetables along with the water, mashed lentils, salt, tamarind pulp and bring to a boil .
- Now add the freshly ground Bisi Bele Bath mix, stir well to break any lumps and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Check for taste and adjust tamarind, salt and spice mix. It must be strong (spicy) at this stage.Once you add beaten rice,it will absorb. If you want add a small piece of jaggery .
- Next add beaten rice.Add more water. Let the consistency be watery.Mix well.Keep stirring in between ,else the mixture will stick to the bottom .Boil well so that beaten rice absorbs spices well and get cooked. Switch off .
- For the tempering : heat ghee/oil in a small kadai.When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and peanuts. After they crackle ,add small dry coconut pieces and cashew pieces.Saute on low flame till they are slight brown. Switch off and add curry leaves.Pour the tempering over the piping hot Bisi Bele Bath, cover immediately to preserve the aroma.
- Bisi bele bath is ready to serve .Serve it hot drizzled with ghee as such or with potato chips / Khara boondi / Veg Raitha on the sides.
- You can replace beaten rice with pre cooked rice / pre cooked broken wheat ( daliya ) / oats . RICE BISI BELEBATH RECIPE HERE
- ** If you are doing bisi bele bath with rice / broken wheat ; use only tuvar dal . Ratio for Rice : dal is 2:1 . Ie 2 cups rice 1 cup dal .
- I would recommend always to add capsicum , drum stick / knol khol to bisi bele bath. They give a very special taste to it.
- If you are making for festivals you can omit onion .In Karnataka poha bisi bele bath is usually made on ekadashi and janmashtami .
- Serve the poha bisi bele bath when it is hot. Else,poha will absorb the liquid and turn it into mass.So better make it runny.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!