BISI BELE BATH POWDER / HOME MADE BISI BELE BATH SPICE POWDER - AUTHENTIC KARNATAKA STYLE
I usually prefer making spice powders at home rather than buying it from outside as i feel they are much better than the store bought ones .There is no preservative added and they really add flavors & fragrance to the food.I agree its little time consuming but once job done , aroma coming out from the flavorful masalas is just overwhelming. So here i share with you all the method of preparing
" Home Made Bisi Bele Bath Powder " . This easy to make spice blend is the heart of bisi bele bath .
Hmm.. I know few people out there are wondering what is this " Bisi Bele Bath " after all ? I can proudly say Bisi bele bath is a trademark signature dish of Karnataka. Its basically a mix of rice , lentils and vegetables. The mixture is spiced up using " bisi bele bath spice powder " and later served hot. Of course you can use MTR ready powder to make them but as i said it can never match the authentic homemade version.
Every house hold has their own recipe for bisi bele bath powder,though the basic remains same there will be few changes in proportion.The one i am sharing today is my Mom's version who's bisi bele bath is very famous. People visiting our home craves for her bisi bele bath and she happily pleases them . She always says " ' Marathi moggu / Kapok buds ' is the secret ingredient in the spice powder so never omit them . " . I too agree , these buds give an important distinguished flavor.So are you ready to jot down the recipe of " Authentic Karnataka Style Bisi Bele Bath Powder " ? Here it goes...
BISI BELE BATH POWDER
- In a frying pan on a low flame dry roast dry coconut till they are crispy. Keep them aside .
- Add few drops of oil to the same pan .Fry both the type of red chillies and curry leaves on low flame till the chillies are crisp. Switch off and transfer to a plate .
- Next to the same pan,add black gram,bengal gram,coriander seeds,cumin seeds, fenugreek,cardamom, cinnamon ,cloves,kapok buds and mace. Fry on low flame till they are aromatic.Lastly add poppy seeds,fry for just a few seconds switch off .
- Combine all the roasted ingredients together .Mix well and allow them to cool .
- Take a mixer jar .Wipe it clean ensuring there is no moisture.Transfer all the roasted ingredients and dry coconut to the jar.Grind to a smooth powder .
- Store the powder in an air tight container and use it while making bisi bele bath .
- Isn't it easy ?? Today i shared just the making of bisi bele bath powder..No points for guessing my next post .. click to know how to make bisi bele bath ...
- Kapok buds and poppy seeds are very essential while making bisi bele bath powder.So dont omit it.
- If you want you can omit dry coconut .This further increases shelf life . You can grind and add at the time of making bisibelebath .
- Usually bisi bele bath is spicy. But if you cant take much spice reduce the chillies .
- I always make these powders in small batches ie once made gets over in 3-5 use.
- This masala powder can also be used while making sambar . It gives a different taste .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!