Who doesn’t like chips ? I’m sure there would not be a single hand out there that would have raised ? Today’s post is for all chips lovers ,here comes Hot chips style “Bitter gourd Chips” recreated in my kitchen.The spicy crispies with a very very mild bitterness in it makes a great teatime snack.They are also a perfect side dish with rasam / dal / majjige huli / sambar .
What bitter gourd??!!When there are so many varieties of chips to choose from ,why this??Didn’t i get anything else !! Ha ha..i’m trying to visualize the faces of bitter gourd haters after the mention of my today’s recipe .I can see many haters .. Hmm..But trust me, after you taste this chips,you’ll like bitter gourd at least in this form and keep on munching one by one…
For me bitter guard is just like any other vegetable and like it in all avatars.But for my kiddos its not the same. Since the veggie has been named so, it has to be bitter and they don’t even want to taste it.Being aware of nutritional values of karela i wanted to make them eat it somehow.And realized bitter gourd chips is the best way to make kids eat this veggie or any bitter gourd haters for that matter.When they tasted them for the first time they just loved the crispy fries and wanted more.I was so happy and since then its become a regular one in my home. Its one of those recipes that requires less effort but has a wonderful taste.Don’t worry they don’t absorb much oil too..
What are you still waiting for ?? Try it out and i’m sure you’l love it and change your views for good…
The spicy crispies with a very mild bitterness in it makes a great teatime snack / Side Dish
Wash bitter gourd and pat dry.Discard ends and cut into thin slices ( the slices should neither be too thin nor thick ). No need do de seed them.
Later to the bitter gourd slices add all the flours and spice powders one by one.
Mix everything well. If required sprinkle just a few drops of water ,so that all slices are coated well with masala mixture or you can also add 1-2 tsp of hot oil. ( don't add more water it will make them soggy ) .
Meanwhile heat oil in a deep pan / kadai for deep frying. Once its hot ,add masala quoted bitter gourd slices to the oil, slice by slice , in batches .Fry on medium low flame on both sides till the bitter gourds are crispy and hissing sound stops.Once the hissing sound stops , its an indication that bitter gourds are done.Remove them from oil and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
Repeat the process with the remaining bitter gourd pieces.
That's it...crispy bitter gourd fries are ready to munch...Store in air tight container .
Isn't it simple and quick? Hoping you will surely incorporate bitter gourd in your diet...
- Make sure you slice the bitter gourd evenly so that while frying it gets cooked evenly.
- Instead of water , you can add 1 -2 tsp of hot oil to the spice powder + bitter gourd mixture. This will make them more crispy. Also the surface of chips will not look dry.
- Depending on the size of your kadai add the bitter gourd pcs for deep frying. Do not over clump. That will reduce the temperature of oil n they will absorb more oil
- When u r adding bitter gourd slice, flame should be medium high.Later reduce to medium low.While frying, fry until sshhh.. sound stops.This is very important to get crispy gourds.
- If you want simple chips, just mix salt and chilli powder to karela and deep fry. or you want a south Indian taste omit all spice powder, just add sambar powder n a pinch of hing.