BROKEN WHEAT / DALIA - VEGETABLE UPMA
Today's recipe is a one pot breakfast / meal,which has lot of vegetables,loaded with fibre,high in nutrition and low in calories..a perfect choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick breakfast recipe.I'm speaking about "Broken Wheat / Cracked Wheat / Dalia / Lapsi / Godi Rava - Upma " .
Upma can be prepared from many things and preparing upma with dalia is a delicious way to include it in our diet.Its not only healthy but also filling.Addition of vegetables makes it more nutritious and delicious.I also make it for dinner sometime and my daughter always reminds me to add nuggets to it. I know there are few people out there who just hate the word "Upma".I somehow can't understand what makes them hate a dish as yummy as upma.For us its one of the most desired breakfast option.
Dalia is actually a form of wheat that has been made by milling the wheat coarsely after cleaning and husking it.It is then processed to the size required.Its an excellent source of fiber and low in fat which is why its most recommended food by dietitians.Its a perfect diabetic friendly dish.Its also a absolute weight watchers delight.It fills you up well and is not high in calories.
Few people are under misconception that healthy eating = tasteless food.This dish proves that healthy food can very much satisfy our taste buds.Im sure you'l nod with me, after the first spoon goes inside.Another good news is that dalia upma can be prepared in pressure cooker.So it saves so much cooking time and calls for zero monitoring. So what are you waiting for just go grab a bag of broken wheat from your grocery shop and treat your family with a healthy tasty option..
- In a pan / kadai take dalia and roast it without oil till its fragrant and starts changing its color .Switch of the flame .Transfer the dalia to another plate as some times due to the heat of the kadai it might get over roasted.
- Soak nuggets in warm water for about 10-15 mins. Drain and squeeze out extra water. Keep aside.
- Keep water to boil . By the time our tadka n dalia mix is ready water would have boiled.
- Mean while ,in a pressure cooker , take oil. Add all the ingredients mentioned under tempering except curry leaves.When mustard splutters add curry leaf and haldi.Then add onion,tomato and green chillies. Fry till onion turns translucent.
- Then add mixed veggies,green peas and nuggets.Saute for 2-3 mins.
- Next is roasted dalia. Saute them for 1- 2 mins.
- Finally add hot water , salt , sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well .Close it with lid and cook for 2 -3 whistles.
- Open the lid when the pressure reduces.Squeeze lemon juice and mix gently. That's it healthy ,tasty n filling cracked wheat upma is ready to relish.Enjoyy hot.
Try this recipe.. i m sure you'l love it...
- Normal proportion for cooking dalia is 1 : 2 or 1 :2 1/2 or 2 3/4. ie.if u like your dalia upma to be dry and non sticky , use 1 glass Dalia and 2 glass of water .If you prefer it to be little mushy and well cooked , use the latter . I normally use 2 1/4 glass of water for 1 glass of dalia.
- Roasting dalia is optional but is recommended to enhance the taste.. In case you are in a hurry , you can skip that step.
- Broken wheat takes time to cook. So its better to cook them in pressure cooker.If you want you can cook in kadai or open pan too.
- If you want you can omit onions and add finely chopped ginger. Nwhile adding lemon add grated coconut.
- can a tsp of If you want you can add garam masala , red chilli powder too.
- You can omit all veggies n nuggets n make it plain with onion / ginger. But to make it more nutritious i ve loaded with veggies.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!