CABBAGE KOOTU / SOUTH INDIAN STYLE CABBAGE CURRY
Though we all like variety of food ..love eating in restaurants...end of the day if you ask anyone,nothing can beat simple home cooked food.Today's post " Cabbage Kootu " is one such comforting dish made from cabbage and lentils,that is very popular in South India...especially in Tamilnadu. This mildly spiced cabbage curry tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some spicy chutney.
Cabbage is one such vegetable that is most under rated because of its smell. But thankfully in my home every one likes it be it in their noodles,sandwich,parthas ,cabbage dosa ,simple stir frys,sambar or this cabbage kootu.This kootu is very simple yet elegant.I am sure people not from south India are wondering what kootu means ? Kootu is basically a thick curry of lentils and vegetables.There are many versions of making kootu .Karnataka version is entirely different which you can find HERE .But for today it's brahmin style Tamilnadu style Cabbage Kootu that has no onion -garlic in it,which i learnt from mom.The best thing that i like in this dish is the crunchy chana dal that we get in between.I don't like it being mushy for this dish.Do try this easy and healthy dish ..i am sure youl like it...
- Wash and soak channa dal for about 15-30 min.
- Add soaked channa dal, chopped cabbage, slited green chillies ,turmeric powder and some water to a cooker.Cook for 2 whistles and switch off the stove.
- Grind the ingredients mentioned under "for grinding" to a fine paste adding little water .Keep it aside.
- Once the cooker cools, open the lid. Transfer the cooked cabbage and dal to a vessel.
- Add ground masala paste and salt to it. Add some water based on your desired consistency.Keep it on stove for boil. Let it boil for 3-4 mins.Switch off .Squeeze lemon and add chopped coriander leaves.
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the cabbage kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple cabbage kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice / roti .
- Instead of cabbage you can use spinach / snake gourd / chayote squash / any other veggies..
- If you wish you can add little onion / ginger while grinding.
- Instead of chana dal you can use moong dal or tuvar dal.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!