CAPSICUM CHUTNEY RECIPE / CAPSICUM THOKKU
Few months before i first saw this " Capsicum Chutney / Capsicum Thokku Recipe " in a FB group . Hmm..... that looked intresting for me and i went ahead and bookmarked the recipe as must try. Though i make capsicum chutney..this method was quiet unique and new to me . I am glad i did try this keeper recipe . They tasted so yumm !! Everyone loved them to the core.One excellent side dish from capsicum which tastes great with anything and everything. The best part is it's no onion - garlic , no coconut recipe. And also since no water has been added , it stays good for 3-4 days without fridge.Ideal to pack while travelling too.
I didn't follow the exact recipe as seen in FB , but tweaked a bit which i felt would improve the dish and also would suit our family taste. Since this chutney tastes more like a pickle and has good shelf life i guess its called Capsicum Thokku . Well , what's in a name ..call what you want. If you are looking for some new chutney variety to go along with your idli,dosa,rotti or rice ..you must try this...!! I am sure you too would love them .....
CAPSICUM CHUTNEY / THOKKU
To temper :
- Wash and roughly chop capsicum .
- Grind them semi coarse in a mixer and keep aside .
- In a small pan add few drops of oil and take all the ingredients mentioned under to roast . Fry till they are crisp . Fine powder the spices in a mixer .
- In a kadai / pan , take oil . Add mustard seeds . Once they splutter , add curry leaves , hing and turmeric powder .
- To the tempering add coarsely ground capsicum , masala powder, tamarind extract and salt . Mix everything well . Saute the chutney for 5-10 minutes stirring in between .Letit boil well and get a nice taste and color. Don't add any extra water .
- That's it capsicum thokku is ready to serve. Relish it with idli , dosa, chapathi , plain rotti or plain rice. I assure you it tastes yumm with everything . Stays good without refrigeration for 3-4 days . If kept in fridge stays good for more days .Will share 1 more variant of capsicum chutney soon, till then enjoy it !!!
- You can use any type of capsicum .
- Grinding of capsicum smooth / coarse depends on your choice .
- In the original recipe , tamarind was not added . But i felt something missing when i made as per the original version . you can try which way you like . Also in the original recipe , methi quantity was more.
- If you want you can add little jaggery .
- Instead of red chillies you can add chilli powder too .
- Sauteing nicely in little extra oil givesthis chutney nice taste , look and also increases shelf life. So better not omit it .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!