CAPSICUM MASALA SANDWICH - IYENGAR BAKERY STYLE...
Looks like I am posting too many sandwiches nowadays... that's mostly because, mornings are damn hectic, my little monsters wake up along with me and i would be running crazy behind them.I try to keep the work @ kitchen to the minimum and sandwiches are real life-savers!!!Also,i love trying out new kinda sandwiches.
This sandwich was born out of inspiration from a local Iyengar bakery at Mysore.Iyengar bakeries are very popular here in Karnataka and they have few signature items which you can find surely in all the iyengar bakeries like vegetable toasts,aloo buns,khara bun,benne biscuits,kobri biscuit,khara biscuit,honey cake,vegetable puff's,dilpasand etc..etc..In 1 such Iyengar bakery back at Mysore, i had foot long rolls stuffed with a spicy tangy mix of capsicum,onion,tomato and sev. Sev !!??Yes you heard it right. Addition of sev had taken this stuffing to completely a different level.The taste was so addictive, that i recreated them at home. Now it has become a regular sandwich option at my home.You can stuff this stuffing between the bread slices as i did or between long rolls as was served at bakery. Both taste awesome.. If you are bored of bland sandwich, here is a simple,tasty,spicy sandwich...
CAPSICUM MASALA SANDWICH -IYENGAR BAKERY STYLE
- Heat oil in a pan,add cumin.After cumin crackles, add turmeric,onion and green chillies .Saute until translucent.
- Next add tomato and saute till they are mushy.
- Add capsicum,tomato ketchup and salt.Mix well. Taste test. If required add little chilli powder. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.Capsicum shouldnt loose its crunchiness , so take off the flame.
- Now add finely chopped coriander,lemon juice and sev . Mix well.
- Our filling is ready. Proceed to make sandwiches .
Assembling the sandwich
- Take a bread slice and top it with 1 or 2 tsp of the filling and close it with another bread slice.
- Heat a Tawa, toast the Sandwich till they are crisp on both the sides. You can grill them in a griller too.
- Cut it diagonally and serve hot as it is or with tomato ketchup.
- To the filling you can also add garam masala powder and coriander powder.
- You can tweak in along with capsicum, baby corn / sweet corn or ... anything else you just luv. Be innovative.
- You can also place a cheese slice between the sandwiches.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!