CARROT PAYASAM / CARROT KHEER
Carrot Kheer or Carrot Payasam, always takes me down the memory lane! As a kid (even now for that matter), i was fussy drinking milk.But amma was very strict and i had to compulsorily have milk in the evenings.Come evening and when i was forced to have milk ,i would simply shake my head in refusal and would search reasons ;" today im tired / im having head ache/ blah blah blah ; pls give me coffee that'l make me fresh". One fine day, amma got this recipe for magic drink from somewhere and what happened next was unbelievable.She had found a way to make me enjoy drinking milk.She would chill it in fridge and i could never say no to it.Every sip was enjoyed and even the last drop from the cup was licked clean.She was so happy that along with the milk ,nutrients of carrots are going in....
You have to try really hard not to love this dessert. Thick and creamy Carrot Kheer flavoured with cardamoms with right amount of sugar, not too sweet or too bland.The addition of almonds and cashews adds a distinct texture and nutty flavor and pairs up with carrot beautifully.The best part of the payasam is that you need not add much sugar as the carrots aid natural sweetness.You can have this healthy milkshake as much as you like without worrying about your weight.
This is surely one of those quick and easy desserts that you can make for any festivals or when you are short of time, or when your guests are just a few steps away from your home...A must have recipe in your books!So here comes the recipe for yummy carrot kheer ..
- Soak cashew and badam in water for some time. Peel off almonds skin.Keep aside
- Peel the skin of the carrots and roughly chop it.
- Pressure cook this by adding 1 cup of milk till 4-5 whistles. Allow it to cool .
- Grind the carrots along with cashew,badam and sugar in a blender to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the milk,mix well and keep on stove.Keep the flame on low.
- Bring the milk to boil.Let it boil for 5 mins.Keep stirring.
- Switch off and add crushed cardamom powder.Mix well .Garnish with saffron strands and more nuts if you want.
- Serve this delicious Carrot Kheer/Payasam hot, warm or chilled as a dessert and enjoy! I personally prefer to store it in refrigerator for at least 3 hours and serve chilled :)
- You can saute the carrots in ghee before it is steamed as it enhances the flavor of carrot.
- I haven't added saffron in the above recipe. If you want you can add. Also if you want you can roasted nuts finally.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!