COLOCASIA LEAVES CHUTNEY /TARO LEAVES CHUTNEY /KESUVINA ELE CHUTNEY
The recipe i am sharing with you all today is an authentic Manglorean dish known as "Kesuvina ele chutney" or "Colocasia leaves/Taro leaves/Arvi Ke patte - chutney" as translated to all.As the name says , this spicy tangy chutney is prepared using taro leaves and is usually loved by all.
Colocasia leaves are available through out the year but are abundant during monsoon.There are several species of Colocasia s all over the world.It’s cooked in many parts of our country and is delicious if cooked in the right way. The trick for making taro leaves dishes delicious is by cooking them thoroughly with right amount of tamarind.Leaves and stems of taro contain crystals of calcium oxalate ,which makes them itchy if not completely cooked.
I've already shared the recipe of most famous dish- pathrode / patra / aluwadi ; using taro leaves.Today its time for an easy chutney that stays well upto 1 week even without refrigeration. Just temper it with little extra oil and give a boil ... yumm .. you can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored with hot plain rice or with anything.
COLCASIA LEAVES CHUTNEY
- Wash the leaves thoroughly. Remove the hard stem.Apply little coconut oil to the palms and roughly chop the leaves.
- In a pan,mix the leaves with tamarind,salt & turmeric.Add one cup of water and cook the leaves on a medium flame till the leaves are soft. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add urad dal ,chana dal & red chillies fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat, add coconut & let it cool completely.
- Transfer the fried masala, cooked leaves ,jaggery and salt to a mixer / blender. Grind to a smooth paste.Taste test .
- Prepare the tempering .Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard,garlic and curry leaves. Fry it until garlic turns golden brown. Now add grounded chutney to this.Bring a boil by stirring in between .
- Serve colocasia leaves chutney with hot rice / idly / dosa / rotti .
- If you can't find colocasia leaves , you can replace them with spinach ( palak ) leaves.Rest procedure is same. They too taste great.
- If you don't want garlic you can replace it with hing.
- This chutney stays well even without fridge for a week.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you share it in Facebook or Twitter or Google+ circles. All it takes is a simple click on the “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.Thank you!