CREAM OF CORN SOUP / SWEET CORN SOUP - INDIAN STYLE
My kids are a huge fan of soups.And it doesnt't need to be winter or monsoon to enjoy their favorite soup... "Cream of Corn / Sweet Corn Soup". An all time favorite and one of the most popular indo-chinese soups.Dining in a restaurant i am pretty sure of one of their orders - the soup - that would always be "Sweet corn soup".I'm very happy that they love soups since soups are always considered healthy,nutritious,easily digestible and best of all easy to feed toddlers and fussy eaters.Its also healer during cold and cough.
The recipe for sweet corn soup that im sharing today is extremely simple and easy that even bachelors can make it without any hassle.It has no oil /butter /cream in it making it fat free.Made from few ingredients,a must try for all corn lovers.I have kept the flavorings in the soup minimal so that taste of corn comes through.You can use american corn / regular corn.Soup from either tastes equally good.
Basically sweet corn soup can be made two ways. One that is a thick clear soup kind of and the other thats creamy yellowish type.Usually the restaurant chooses the former type and Knorr / Maggi instant ones are the latter types.The recipe im sharing today recreates Knorr/ Maggi instant sweet corn soup..Only after you make your first bowl of soup,you will realize how easy,fresh and yummy a home made soup can be...
So ready for a hot cup of home made soup ?
CREAM OF CORN SOUP
- Pressure cook the corn for 2- 3 whistles or until soft with a cup of water.Alternatively you can microwave them too. Once the corn gets cooled, shred the corn kernels completely with the help of a knife / hand.
- Reserve 2- 3 tbsp of corn to garnish and grind the remaining corn kernels to a very smooth paste adding little water.Strain the corn paste using a stainer.Add some more water to the corn paste and squeeze it and extract corn pulp fully .
- Add salt and the reserved corn kernels kept for garnishing to the strained corn juice. Mix well and keep it to boil.
- Meanwhile in a glass mix milk and cornflour such that there are no lumps.Keep aside.
- When the soup starts to boil, reduce the flame and add cornflour + milk mixture.Add pepper powder. Stir well. Allow it to boil for another 2- 3 mins.You will observe that soup will thicken.If required add little water.
- Switch of the flame.Sprinkle oregano powder and mix well.Garnish with spring onions and serve hot hot with soup sticks.
- Will soon post thick clear corn soup version..Till then.enjoyy this piping hot soul warming soup ...
- Adjust corn flour according to the desired thickness. More cornflour yields a thicker soup.
- If you have vegetable stock, you can use that instead of water.
- If you want you can add other veggies too with corn like green peas / carrot/ beans/onion etc to load it with more nutrients.
- If you want you can omit the sieving part. Its optional. Just grind the cooked cornto a very smooth paste, add water and keep to boil.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!