CUMIN COOKIES / JEERA BISCUITS - EASY INDIAN EGGLESS COOKIES
Today i have for you all a crispy , crunchy, delicious cookie that's ideal for tea time . " Cumin Cookies / Jeera Biscuits " are my one of my favorite goodies from bakery . Lightly sweet and mildly salted with a tempting flavor of cumin .. these savory cookies tastes so yum and so easy to make too !! The aroma that spreads in the house while the jeera biscuits are getting baked .. Aaah love that cuminy flavor !!
One day i happened to stumble upon here , while searching for some recipe . It was there i saw these Jeera biscuits and bookmarked as must try . I’m glad that I tried them .. infact they turned perfect in my first attempt it self . That speaks how full proof this recipe is . After the successful first trial , i have made theses cookies quiet some time as I and my family loves it.You too give a try .. i am sure you too will love it.. Here you go...
- Dry roast cumin seeds till they are crisp and aromatic. This may take 2-3 mins .
- Meanwhile ,In a bowl take butter and sugar powder . Whisk / beat well until its creamy and fluffy . It is very important to use butter at room emperature ..otherwise it will not come out nicely .
- Once the cumin seeds are roasted nicely , take a rolling pin and crush them coarsely and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven at 180c / 350 F for 10 minutes
- In a bowl sift all purpose flour.
- To that add salt and about 75 % of crushed roasted cumin seeds . We will be using the remaining cumin seeds later while rolling dough .
- Now add this maida mix to the beaten butter mix. Add dry ingredient to the wet ingredient in 2- 3 batches and with a help of whisk/ spatula / hand make a dough .If the dough is crumbly add about 2 tbsp of milk. Mix . Add more milk only if the mixture feels dry. if it is still dry then add 2 tablespoons more and mix . It should come together as soft dough but should not be sticky.
- Roll to make a smooth medium thick chapati.Sprinkle the remaining cumin seeds and lightly roll it.
- Take cookie cutter / sharp lid , dip into dry flour and cut into small biscuits .You can use any shape of size as per your choice. Gather the remaining scrapings, roll out again and repeat the process till the entire dough gets over.
- Spread a butter paper on the baking sheet and arrange biscuits over it .
- Bake them at 180 c or 350 F for 10 mins.After 10 mins , take out the cookies, set the temperature of the oven to 170 C or 325 F and bake for another 5-7 mins or till the cookies become golden brown . Baking at lower temperature makes the cookies crispy.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, allow it to cool completely .Store them in air tight containers and relish !!
- If you want you can use 50 : 50 proportion Maida n wheat flour .ie 1/2 cup maida n 1/2 cup wheat flour. but tastes best when made only with maida.
- I don't add baking soda to these cookies . If you want can add a pinch .
- Always use butter at room temperature.keep it on countertop for min 30 mins before using for making cookie.
- if you are reducing the butter quantity , you may have to increase milk quantity .
Thanks for reading the post....please drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!