DALIA IDLI / BROKEN WHEAT IDLI / GODHI RAVE IDLI
Looking for some healthy breakfast items ? I am sure most of us are ..Apart from being healthy, it has to be tasty,easy n has to receive thumbs'up from all...Right ? Generally if something is made of a healthy ingredient it doesn't attract people .Well... I am super confident thats my today's post " Daliya idli / Lapsi Idli / Craked Wheat Idli / Godhuma Ravai Idli " fulfills all these criteria and will definitely make your breakfast or dinner a sumptuous one..A lovely variation from the normal rice n urad idli.
Any Idli ,as such is very healthy since its steamed and is quite filling. Idli from dalia is super healthy.Broken wheat / Dalia is an excellent source of fiber and low in fat which is why its most recommended food by dietitians.Its a perfect diabetic friendly dish.Its also a absolute weight watchers delight.It fills you up well and is not high in calories.
Every one loves Dalia upma ( which i had shared few days before ) at my place. So when i saw these idlies here , i was eager to try it .Wow !!! they turned super soft and fluffy in my first attempt itself.Now this makes a regular entry in my kitchen.I make two versions of dalia idli. For today its the fermented version.Those of you who are looking to reduce rice in your diet ,do try these idlis ,they almost taste like the normal idlis. I also make an instant version of dalia idli ( which is almost same as rava idli ) , ill share it some time later.So are you ready to jot down the recipe.. here it goes...
- Soak the urad dal and dalia separately for 1 hour.
- Grind the urad dal first into very very smooth paste adding enough water.Do not add water at once. Add it in intervals.
- Drain dalia completely as it would have absorbed lot of water. After draining ,add only half quantity (ie 1 glass ) of soaked dalia to the urad dal batter.Grind it to a coarse paste for about 10 mins along with urad. When done, transfer the batter (urad +dalia mix) to a large container.At this stage, add the remaining leftover soaked dalia ( ie 1 glass ) to the batter. Don't grind. This will give nice texture to the idli.Add salt and mix well. Set aside overnight / 6-8 hrs for fermentation.
- Morning the batter would have fermented well. Mix well before pouring into greased idli moulds.
- Heat water in a steamer.Grease idli molds with oil .Pour the batter into idli stand.
- Steam for 12-15 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean it means its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a spoon or knife.
- Thats it soft, spongy and healthy Dalia Idli's are ready to serve. Serve with Chutney / Sambar / Gojju / Chutney Powder.
- If you don't like raw smell of broken wheat, instead of soaking you can roast it till they are aromatic.Later powder a bit and add to the urad batter.
- You can temper the batter too for some spiciness or some finely grated or chopped veggies.
- Stay tuned for instant version of dalia idly.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!