Remember my yesterday’s post of bassaru / Dill leaves rasam where I had shared just half the recipe of it and had kept aside greens and dal mix to use later ? So as promised , today i am back with part 2 of it – using the greens and dal mix in making ” Dill Leaves Stir Fry / Sabbasige Soppu Palya / Suva Sabzi ” . The combination of dill leaves, dal tastes and smells just wonderful. Its simple ,quick,healthy ,nutritious and of course lip smacking !!
In karnataka , dill leaves stir fry (without tuvar dal ) is one of the most common dish served to a new mom as its known to aid lactation .When i too was in that phase, almost daily i was served this sabzi along with pepper rasam and other dishes and not even 1 day i got bored eating it .. just enjoyed every bite if it … the aroma when fresh dill leaves are getting cooked itself is so tempting… Hmm….
Without much talks , let’s get started with this easy recipe….
DILL LEAVES STIR FRY
A simple every day South Indian style Dill leaves stir fry
Take a kadai .Add oil , mustard seeds ,urad dal and garlic.
When mustard splutters , add curry leaves,broken red chilli and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins.
Add dill leaves and dal mix that we have kept aside . Add salt and mix well . Allow the extra water to evaporate if any .If you are doing from scratch refer note 1
Finaly add grated coconut . Mix .
Serve hot dill leaves stir fry with rice or roti .Isn't it one healthy south indian thali.. bassaru , soppu paya...simple home cooked food can indeed give lots of pleasure and good health ..
- If you are doing just the dill leaves stir fry from the scratch use : Dill leaves / sabsige soppu - 2 big bunch and Tuvar dal - 1/ 4 cup
- If you are doing just the stir fry from scratch , add chopped dill leaves to the tempering .Saute for 2-3 mins , add little water ,close and cook . Once the greens are 75 % cooked , add cooked dal ,salt and mix well . Finally add grated coconut .
- When doing from scratch , addition of tuvar dal is optional but recommended. It gives a nice volume and taste .
- Adding garlic is optional .If you are a lactating or expecting mom , dill leaves and garlic combo is very much recommended.
- If making for new lactating mom , avoid using dal as it may cause gas in new born babies .
- Be careful while adding salt . it doesn't take much .