DODDAPATRE THAMBLI ( THAMBULI ) - AJWAIN LEAF ( KARPOORAVALLI ) RECIPES
Today I have a bowlful of simple ,healthy and comforting side dish .. that's great to cool your body naturally in this summer . Come summer .. thambli made from various ingredients is a must in our home . Thambli is a very traditional Karnataka dish which our grannys have been making from many years . For better understanding we can term thambli as medicated buttermilk / a type of raita / cold soup .You can prepare thambli with anything and most of them takes just 10 mins . Yes in 10 mins you have a bowlful of comforting food to cool your soul Each has its unique flavor and benefits. I had earlier shared Ginger thambli and Brahmi thambli . Today it is " Doddapatre Tambli ( Tambuli ) / Karpooravalli Raitha / Ajwain leaf cold soup " .The heavenly aroma that comes out of your kitchen when you are roasting these leaves along with some cumin and pepper seeds... aah..
Doddapatre / sambarballi soppu is a plant with many medicinal properties. Its known as Ajwain (Hindi),Ova (Marathi), Panikoorka (Malayalam), Karpuravalli (Tamil) ,Vamu aaku ( telugu ) in various languages . This small herb is used as home remedy for cold and cough, asthma , for indigestion ,acidity etc . The leaves are soft, thick, has a strong pungent flavor. I have a pot full of this plant in my balcony as growing them is very easy . Other than using these leaves for medicinal benifits , i also use them to make tea, rasam , chutney , bajji and this thambli . Will surely share all the recipes here but for today its " Ajwain leaf Thambli " . Thambli is typically eaten at the begining of our lunch . Hot rice and tambuli is a great combination . Do try it sometime . Here goes the easy, healthy & quick recipe ...
- Clean , wash and roughly chop ajwain leaves .
- In a pan add few drops of ghee and roast jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.
- Add the ajwain leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the leaves turn soft and change their colour.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Grind leaves -spice mix ,coconut and salt to a very smooth paste in a mixer by adding little water.
- Pour the mixture to a bowl and add buttermilk / curd .Mix well.Adjust the consistency as required. The consistency should be thin .
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.Add mustard seeds and jeera ,when it splutters add curry leaves .Pour the tempering on the thambli .
- Serve doddapatre tambli in room temperature with hot steaming rice or relish as such as a drink.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!