Today’s recipe is my childhood favorite, which has continued till date. People who don’t have a sweet tooth too would surely get lost relishing these delicious ” Dry fruit Laddus ” . Also known as Antina Unde or Kardantu (in Kannada) , Dink Laddu / Dinkache Laadu (in Marathi) ,Gond ke Ladoo (in Hindi) .Made using lots of nuts and edible gum , they are not just delicious but very very healthy..one of the best food during winters . In Karnataka , these are traditionally given to lactating mothers as its a great strength booster .Very famous in North Karnataka region , i am sure you might have seen these dry fruit laddus in many sweet shops too . Since Diwali is round the corner , whats more exotic than these dry fruits laddus . For sugar free and easy version of dry fruit laddu .. check HERE .Do try these dry fruit laddus for sure .. A person like me ( who doesn’t have a sweet tooth ) can love this, im sure anyone can !! Here you go…
Dry Fruit Laddu
Chop all the dry fruits to thin long pieces .
Dry roast all the flavoring ingridients ie cardamom , cloves,mace etc and crush to powder .
Dry roast poppy seeds such that they are aromatic .
Take a kadai /a pan and take a tbsp of ghee. Add edible gum to the ghee and fry till they get nicely puffed up like popcorn . Mine was not of good quality so didn't puff as desired . Once done , keep aside . If you want slightly crush and powder roasted gum.
In the same kadai /pan , fry almonds, raisins,cashews, pista and dates separately until they are crisp .Add little ghee each time.
Add the roasted nut , roasted poppy seeds,dried coconut and flavor powder in a big bowl. Mix well.
Now make jaggery syrup . Take the kadai / pan and add jaggery . Add little water to it say 1/2 cup . Bring it to boil and let the jaggery melt and turn thick 1 string consistency.
Pour the jaggery syrup , hot ghee into the mixed nuts mixtures .
When the mixture is warm enough to handle , take a handful of it and roll to form laddu .
Store dry fruit laddus in air tight containers and relish as and when required . Stays good for atleast a month without refrigeration .
- Addition of cashew is optional .
- Additional of edible gum is optional . If doing for lactating mothers , don't omit it . Edible gum is said to strengthen the backbones.
- you can use any dry fruits in any proportion that you like.
- You can plus or minus kopra quantity too .
- Along with jaggery , you can add some red rock candy ( kallu sakkare / mishri ) too. Its very good .
- IMPORTANT STEP To check syrup : To test jaggery syrup readiness - Keep a small plate/cup with cold water ready by stove side.When you take a bit of hot syrup and put it in water, you should be able to make a ball of it. Then the syrup is ready.
- If you want you can reduce the ghee quantity .
- addu should be shaped when the mix is still warm else you might not be able to give shape.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!