ELLU UNDE / TIL LADDU / SESAME SWEET BALLS
Black and white sesame seeds are two different varieties of sesame seed and have slightly different flavors. While the black variety is nuttier with a slight bitter after note, white ones are milder.These seeds are a very good source of copper, magnesium and calcium. Also,they are a heat generating food and hence good to be part of the cold season diet . Most of us usually ignore the black sesame seeds and opt for the white ones may be for the reason that the white ones look and taste better than the black seeds. But the black sesame seeds are more nutritious than the white ones.So today , i,ve selected black ones.
Til Laddus with black sesame are usually made for festivals like Krishna Janmashtami and nagarapanchami and white sesame is used in makara sankranthi.
Its the most simplest recipe with minimal ingredients & minimal efforts as well.However ,the key to their success is in handling the jaggery correctly.These ladoos are ghee-less which might be a great news for weight watchers! Now yo u know why i like this laddu..:)
Here's the recipe :
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on low flame till it crackles and releases nice aroma. Do not over roast it, otherwise, it tastes bitter. Allow it to cool.
- Take 1/4 glass of water and jaggery in a thick bottomed vessel and bring it to boil. Keep stirring in low flame until the syrup is thick and sticky.
- IMPORTANT STEP To check syrup : To test jaggery syrup readiness - Keep a small plate/cup with cold water ready by stove side.When you take a bit of hot syrup and put it in water, you should be able to make a ball of it. Then the syrup is ready .
- Once the syrup is ready, set aside for few minutes and allow it cool a bit.
- When the syrup cools but is till warm, add the roasted sesame seeds and mix well .
- Take a spoonful of the mixture,tightly press the mixture and make small balls.
- Your black beauties are ready .When cold, store in an air tight container. These laddus will be harder and crisp ,unlike the typical soft laddus.Enjoy these laddus as a healthy dessert or as a healthy snack !!!
- If the black sesame are old, it might not crackle properly. If its not crackled properly, laddus give a raw taste.
- While dry roasting the sesame seeds, sprinkle few drops of water to the seeds.It avoids them from jumping out of the kadai .
- If you want , you can add 1-2 tbsp of ghee to the syrup.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!