GONGURA PICKLE RECIPE / ANDHRA GONGURA CHUTNEY( PACHADI) / GONGURA THOKKU
Today i have for you all the famous and very tasty pickle from Andhra .I am sure like me many of you love this pickle to the core. Its very spicy,tangy ,tempting and an absolute fingerlicking one.Any guesses ?? Yes ... its " Gongura Pickle / Gongura thokku ". Few people also call it "Gongura chutney / Gongura pachadi "... which ever name you associate with..one thing is sure ..Hot rice , fresh ghee and a tsp of this pickle.. aah.. yumm..slurp... heaven !! There was a time when i used to visit andhra hotels just for this pachadi . If you have never tasted it..you have surely missed something...
Gongura is actually a green leafy veggie thats called as sorrel leaves in english , pulicha keerai in Tamil , Ambadi in hindi etc . The leaves are usually tangy in taste and available in 2 variations - Red Stem Gongura and Green Stem Gongura.Red Stem Gongura is more sour in taste and very popular for making pickles . Stocking these kind of pickles is really very handy for your busy days or no mood days. The best thing is its very easy to prepere this pickle , takes very less times and stays good easily for months .Made from freshly ground spice, with no preservatives added its high on flavors and tastes no less than any store bought ones.Do try for yourself and i am sure you will thank me for this recipe....Here you go ...
To roast and powder
- From the Gongura bunch, separate the leaves from the stem and wash them (discard thick stems and retain the tender ones). Pat them dry on a kitchen towel. let all the moisture go.Roughly chop them.
- In a small kadai / pan add a few drops of oil .Roast urad dal,coriander seeds, cumin seeds,mustard , fenugreek seeds and red chillies till they are aromatoic and crisp .
- Meanwhile , In a thick pan/ kadai, heat about 2 Tbsp of oil,add the leaves and sauté them until soft. Remove and let it cool.You will observe that within minutes it will become mushy .Allow to cool .
- When the spices are cooled, transfer them to a mixer and powder .
- Once the spices are powdered , add cooked leaves and salt to it and grind it coarsely along with spice powder.Don't add any water.
- Now take the big kadai again and heat the remaining oil . Add mustard seeds and garlic pieces to it once oil is hot .
- When mustard splutters , add the ground gongura . Give a nice mix. Taste test.If required add salt and chilli powder.Saute gongura pickle in low flame for 8-10 mins till the extra moisture evaporates and everything combine to a mass . sauteing nicely will increase shelf life.
- Once cool , transfer to a dry clean glass container . Delicious Gongura Pickle is ready to be served with hot rice.Serve it with hot rice and ghee / gingely oil .Stays good for months with or without fridge.
- Pat dry the gongura leaves nicely such that the moisture is fully gone.Else shelf life will decrease. Don't dry in sun.
- Usually red varity gongura are more tangy and good for pickles. Try if you can get that . If using green ones , some times you may require tamarind . In that case you can roast tamarind along with red chilli and powder.
- Addition of garlic and usage of gingely oil is optional . However for the authentic taste , it is preffered .
- The pickle when done should be more spicy , salty and tangy the first day . The taste will get balanced in next 2-3 days .
- Use a clean dry spoon always and store in air tight container . Stays fresh and good for a long time.
- if you are doing like chutney and want to finish in 1-2 days, you can reduce oil quantity.addition of extra oil increases shelf life.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!