HALUBAI / HALBAI / RICE HALWA
Happy New Year !! Can you believe it ? Its already 2days since its officially 2014.I'm extremely excited with 2014 as i feel that some of my dreams might come true this year.A new year also means making new resolutions.From the few resolutions i've made for the year, i'm trying to fulfill one of them now -that is to blog more often...
I kept going back and forth as what my 1st new year post shall be ? People all over the world have special traditions for celebrating the arrival of new year and often celebration includes desserts.So today i present to youa delicious traditional sweet of Karnataka - " Halubai / Halbai " .Halbai is a type halwa /burfi /fudge , which can be prepared from rice/wheat/ragi/poha/rava. They taste like halwa but are served in the shape of burfis and are very tooth friendly.Today i would be sharing rice halbai.
Though making this traditional sweet requires only a few ingredients, but its considered a quiet tedious process.If the ingredients are not as per proportion / right consistency is not achieved they turn sticky.I don't feel they are very tough to make but the only boring thing is you need to constantly keep on stirring them .It calls for your undivided attention.As the mixture thickens,it gets harder to stir.But trust me the end result would be great .Don't go by its appearance.. Halbai is not at all a colorful dish.. Ive tried to add some color to the dish by making the background colorful ...
The full recipe is here and I hope you enjoy this classic Rice Sweet Dish...
HALUBAI / HALBAI
- Soak rice for about 2-4 hours.
- Grind rice,coconut ,jaggery and cardamom to a very fine paste by adding little water.
- Transfer the batter to a nonstick kadai / heavy bottom kadai.Add abt 1 cup of water.
- Keep on low-medium flame and stir the mixture continuously ensuring that no lumps are formed.
- Add ghee and continue stirring the mixture till it forms a mass of ball and starts leaving the sides of kadai.This will take about 10-15 mins.
- Grease a plate with ghee and transfer the mass to the plate .Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula and smoothen the surface.
- Once warm,cut into desired shape and serve warm /cold.Can be stored for 4 days if refrigerated. Will share other versions of halbai sometimes.. till then enjoyy these ..
- You can replace rice with wheat /ragi /poha/rava.
- Before taking it off the pan, do a test.Take a tsp of mix and spread it on a greased plate. It should be able to come off without sticking .Then its done. or
- You can also test it this way: if you touch a tsp of mix with wet hands, it should not stick. Then its done.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!