Today i’ll share with you all one more famous dish from coastal Karnataka,an all time favorite of my daughter- ” Ridge gourd Dosa ” or “ Heerekai dose / Heerekai chatti / Heerekai pathrode” as known locally. Though this dish is called as dosa, it looks more like shallow fried bajjis / pakoras. Relish it as snacks or as side dish with lunch /dinner or weekend breakfast.
Remember my previous post , Spicy dosa / uppu huli dosa ? If you haven’t seen it yet, check it right now here. Ridge gourd dosa is also made with the same dosa batter .In my home what was cabbage dosa first day gets converted to ridge gourd dosa next day. And no one complains, since the dosas have got nice makeover.You can substitute ridge gourd with potato /sweet potato / raw banana / yam / bread fruit / round brinjal / onion .
Recipe for this dosa is very simple.But the final out come is so tasty.. crispy from outside,soft from inside.Do try it and im sure you would love them as I haven’t come across a person who doesn’t like this or who hasn’t asked for the recipe after tasting this…
Here goes the recipe for ” Dip Dip Dosa ” ( Thats how my kiddos calls these dosas “
RIDGE GOURD DOSA
Soak rice,green gram,bengal gram and methi seeds for 2-5 hours or overnight.
Later drain excess water and grind it in a mixer with all the ingredients mentioned under masala. Make a smooth paste. Let the consistency be like that of a thick buttermilk.
Wash and peel the ridge gourd roughly to remove the sharp ridges. You need not peel the skin completely.
Then cut the ridge gourd into thin round slices.
Grease a tawa and heat it. When it gets hot, dip each ridge gourd pieces into the batter and place them on hot tawa adjacent to each other to form a dosa / round shape.You could pour some batter to fill the gaps in between the pieces.Drizzle few drops of oil and cook it on low flame with a lid covered.
When the bottom gets cooked ie turns brown, flip it and cook other side.Drizzle some more oil.When done remove from tawa.
Serve it hot with butter / coconut oil / ghee / curd / Plain coconut chutney / as side dish with rice .I know you will surely love it.Do try.Isn't this a smart way of adding vegetables into our diet ? I can see you nodding your head...
- Cut the vegetables into thin round slices.Else they wont cook properly.
- Instead of ridge gourd you can use onion,potato,sweet potato,yam,raw banana ,bread fruit,brinjal .
- While cooking keep the flame on low to medium low only . Else dosa will get burnt before the veggies get cooked. Also it needs little more oil than the normal dosa's.
- The remaining batter can be kept in the fridge and used next day.
- If you want you can omit coconut and use a fistful of beaten rice instead. But then be ready to compromise with taste a bit.
- This dosa tastes best when made spicy. So use liberally salt,chillies,tamarind and jaggery.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!