HOLIGE SAARU / OBBATTU SAARU RECIPE
Being from Karnataka , i want " Cook with Smile " to be one stop destination for most of the Karnataka cuisine . So today i'll share recipe of one more authentic Karnataka Dish " Holige Saaru / Obbattu Saaru " . This post is long pending one. When i had posted holige recipe some time back.. many of you had requested to share holige rasam recipe too. I had actually planned to post both back to back ,but some how lost step by step pics of saaru. Re did it for Varamahalakshmi festival and posting it today so that you guys can try it for gowri habba . Obbattu Saaru, little ghee, Rice is one awesome combination....!!! How many agree ?
I am sure people from other states would be wondering what this obbattu saaru means ? It actually is a special type of rasam made using water strained from the cooked chana dal used for stuffing pooran poli or holige The separated dal is used to make poli and water goes to rasam . This recipe is almost same to my bassaru .Since usually puran poli ( holige / obbattu ) is made for festivals, this holige saaru too has become a festive dish made usually in Karntaka on Ugadi / varamahalakshmi / Gowri festival . Hey wait .. that doesn't mean to relish this rasam you have to do puran poli always. You can do by cooking little channa dal specially and relish whenever you crave for it . Here you go...
HOLIGE SAARU / OBATTU SAARU
To grind ( Masala )
- Wash chanadal ,add about 4-5 cup water and pressure cook for about 2 whistles . Dal should be almost cooked but should hold its shape .It should not become mushy. Turn off the heat.
- Once the cooker cools , strain cooked dal over a strainer and seperate dal from water completely .Reserve this water to make holige saaru and dal goes to holige. Just keep aside 1-2 tbsp of cooked dal to grind for rasam .
- Now lets prepare masala. In a mixer jar , take grated coconut , 1-2 tbsp cooked chana dal ,poppy seeds and rasam powder. Add some water and grind to a smooth paste .
- Next to the chana dal broth ( water ) add ground masala , slit green chilli , salt ,jaggery and tamarind pulp .Keep on flame to boil . Mix well and add water to get the desired consistency .
- Allow it to boil .Switch off .Garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Finally prepare tempering.Take a small kadai . Add ghee , mustard seeds . Allow the mustard to splutter . add hing and curry leaves .Switch off and pour it over obbattu saaru
- Serve hot rasam with steamed rice or ragi mudde .
- Since i usually make it for festivals , i dont add onion - garlic . But if you want you can add a medium sized onion while brinding and garlic to tempering instead of hing . Gives nice taste .
- This rasam will be slightly thicker when compared to the normal rasams . And also it will be bit spicy, sour and sweet .. all balanced perfectly .
- few people make puranpoli / holige with tuvar dal .In that case to make this rasam , follow same recipe just replace dal type.
- This rasam tastes good when fresh . and Surprisingly , it
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!