Have you ever tasted ” Homemade Tomato Jam ” ? Since its harvest time for tomatoes and is available in market at throw away price , i thought of sharing this “easy homemade no preservative recipe for Tomato jam “. Enjoy the peak flavor of fresh tomatoes past the season by preparing homemade jam with no artificial preservatives.This jam recipe preserves its fresh flavor with nothing but sugar,salt and lime followed by proper storage.Once ready,you will be surprised to see the jars emptied sooner than you anticipated.That addictive it is.
Growing up, my mom used to make these tomato jam at home when tomatoes were in season.Once it was done,she would happily pass a few jars of this luscious jam to our neighbours and relatives, keeping some for us.And in return she would get loads of praises who ever tasted them.It was always a hit since they are not usually available in stores.
Here i pass to you all my Mom’s recipe for tomato jam which is very simple.You simply throw tomato,sugar into a pot and it cooks down to a jammy ,very good consistency and color ,beautifully flavored with cinnamon and cloves.But yes it calls for your attention to stir between and not to overcook them. If you cook more ,it will become very hard and sticky after cooling.So be all eyes near its final stage.
Are you ready to give this homemade tomato jam a try ?Im sure you’l enjoy the cooking process as you see the tomatoes turning to jellies..
You can also check this homemade raw mango jam recipe …
Print Recipe HOMEMADE TOMATO JAM Yum
Wash tomatoes and make a cross (X) in endways as shown in the pic.
Boil water nicely. Switch off and drop tomatoes inside hot water. Let it remain in it for about 5-10mins.This will help to peel skin off from tomatoes easily.
Take them out from water,allow to cool .Peel off skin and discard them .Squeeze out some of the juice and seeds from it.You can use it for something else.
Chop tomato into very fine pieces or blend in a processor for few seconds.
Take a heavy bottom large pan / kadai. Pour tomatoes into it.Boil for abt 15 mins in medium high flame to reduce liquid.
Add sugar,cinnamon and cloves powder. Mix well.Let the gas be on medium flame.Bring mixture to full boil stirring frequently in between.As it thickens,stir consistently and reduce the flame. Make sure not to overcook. Jam will thicken as it cools. (Refer notes)
When the jam has reached a thick sauce consistency, add lemon juice.Mix well, turn off flame.Cool for about 10 mins and pour into clean sterilized glass bottles.
Once it cools completely, close the lid and refrigerate / store in a cool dry place.Use when required for bread , buns,chapathi, etc .
- Use ripe and pulpy tomatoes.For flavoring i have added cinnamon and cloves. You can use something else too or omit.
- When the jam has reached the consistency of ketchup,switch off the stove.When it will cool, it will thicken and attain jam consistency.
- What to do ,if you overcooked and your jam has become hard after cooling? Don't worry, transfer the jam to the kadai . When its warm, sugar will dissolve. At this stage, add about a glass of boiled water.Mix well.See that it gets a consistency of ketchup.
- If made well,stored well and used with clean hands , this homemade jam remains fresh for many months even at room temperature.
- If you don't want seeds in it, you can puree and filter to remove all seeds.