HYDERABADI MIRCHI KA SALAN / MIRCHI KA SALAN RECIPE
Today i have for you all a famous classic dish from Hyderabadi cuisine . Any guesses ?? No no .. its not Hyderabadi biryani but the humble accompaniment " Mirchi ka Salan " without which biriyani can never taste the same ( at least for me !!! ) .Fried chillies dunked in the creamy sesame-coconut-peanut gravy with a hint of tangy tamarind is definitely something anybody can get addicted to.It's spicy , tangy , rich and bursting with flavors . in short just YUMMM..... !!!!
I wanted to post Mirchi ka salan in my blog from long time. Mirchi ka salan actually means chillies in a peanut sesame base gravy . Typically it is made from long green chillies . But since they are sometimes super hot , to be on the safer side i use bajji chillies which are mildly spiced .Last week when i saw these chillies in the market i remembered mirchi ka salan and picked it up . Aah had a lovely feast weekend ( Yes make this dish only when you have time to cook and relish it later ) .If you enjoy hot and spicy food, pair mirchi ka salan with some biryani or plain white rice or even chapathi.. and indulge ....Here you go....
MIRCHI KA SALAN
To grind ( Wet )
To grind ( Dry )
- Wash ,pat dry green chillies .Then slit the green chillies vertically without cutting through.Gently remove the veins and seeds of it.
- In a pan , dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds , poppy seeds and dry coconut , all seperately . peanuts and sesame has to splutter and kopra has to get crisp . Allow to cool .
- Take roasted peanuts , sesame seeds and kopra into a mixer and make very very smooth powder .keep the powder aside .
- Take onion, ginger and garlic into a mixer and make very very smooth paste .
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide pan and shallow fry the chillies till they are softened and lightly charred . Drain and set aside on paper towels.
- Meanwhile , take about 2-3 tbsp oil in another pan . Add mustard seeds , cumin seeds , fenugreek seeds , nigella seeds .Once they splutter add curry leaves and onion - ginger - garlic paste . Saute well till raw smell goes and paste releases oil from the sides .
- Once the paste is cooked add turmeric powder , red chilli powder , coriander - cumin powder and salt . Mix it well and quickly add water so that the spices dont get burnt .
- Add the dry powder of sesame - peanut - coconut into it and Mix .
- Next add tamarind pulp and salt to the gravy and mix. Adjust the consistency by adding desired quantity of water to the gravy . Bring it to boil .
- Finally add fried green chillies and mix. Boil the gravy on sim till it thickens . Swith off , garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Serve hot mirchi ka salan with biriyani / plain steamed rice / chapathi .
Thanks for reading the post....please drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!