INSTANT MANGO PICKLE RECIPE / KOCHCHIDA MAVINAKAYI UPPINAKAYI
Summer time is pickles time !! Summer time is mango time !! For my granny & mom.. pickle making , papad making etc used to be favorite summer pass time. I am sure story was same in most houses. The evening conversations between ladies would usually start from " which pickle you made this time ? Did you get fresh raw mangoes ? .... etc ". I know most of us have beautiful childhood memories associated with pickles in summer vacations recalling which makes us nostalgic. The lady of the house would take pride in making various types of pickles in big big containers and storing and serving them for a year long . No meal would be complete without them . But now , in our hectic lifestyle ..who has the time or patience to make them at home . We either buy them ready ( trying to become ignorant of artificial colors and preservatives it has ) or rely on our mom/ MIL for the yearly supply. But are we not depriving our next generation from the sweet memories of summer , pickles etc unlike us ?? Something to think isn't it ? In the coming days , i will be sharing few variants of mango pickle.To begin with i have for you all " Instant Mango Pickle / Kochichida Mavinakayi Uppinakayi " . Making them is very very easy and any one can make it , even if you are a L board in cooking . Simple and quick , but taste wise very very yummy with amazing flavours . After you try this Instant Mango Pickle , you will agree with me " Pickle making always needn't be an elaborate ritual ..." . Do try them ..here you go ..
INSTANT MANGO PICKLE
To temper :
Masala / Spice Powder
- Wash and wipe raw mango using kitchen towel and chop them into very small cubes.
- Meanwhile , in another kadai add few drops of oil and roast mustard seeds and methi . let the mustard splutter and methi be aromatic. Keep aside . To the same kadai ,add few drops of oil . Roast Chilli .If you are using chilli powder , skip red chilli frying step.
- Powder all roasted spices to a fine powder . Keep aside
- In a kadai / thick pan , heat a tbsp of oil . Splutter mustard seeds . Add curry leaves and hing .
- Later add chopped mangoes. Saute for 1 mins. Add salt and turmeric.Give it a mix. Continuing to stir for another 1 mins . By this time mango pieces would have turned little tender .
- Add pickle powder and mix well . Stir fry for another minute so that mango pieces takes in all the spices and flavors . Switch off
- That's it our spicy Instant Mango pickle is ready to enjoy. Store in air tight jar once its cooled to room temperature . Stays good for about 10-15 days without fridge and if refrigerated remains good for months together. Tastes awesome with idli , dosa, chapathi , bread, plain rice, curd rice etc.
- Select raw , firm sour mangoes .
- The pickle can be served immediately after preparation.
- Adjust salt and spice level as per tanginess of raw mangoes.
- The pickle when done should be more spicy , salty and tangy the first day .The taste will get balanced in next 2-3 days .
- Use a clean dry spoon always and store in air tight container . Stays fresh and good for a long time.
- Can take it while travelling . It doesnt spoil .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you share it in Facebook or Twitter or Google+ circles. All it takes is a simple click on the “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.Thank you!