JACKFRUIT IDLI / HALASINA HANNINA KADUBU ( GATTI ) / PONSA MUDDO
Today i have for you all a very famous dish from Coastal Karnataka .. " Jackfruit Idli " . They are locally known as " Halasina Hannina Idli / Kadubu / Gatti " . No points for guessing who the hero of the dish is ... of course the seasonal fruit Ripe JackFruit. Soft and flavourful with distinct aroma of jackfruit these idlis taste just divine . Traditionally over riped jackfruit ( tuluve hannu ) is used to make these idlis and are steamed in banana leaves / teak leaves which adds an amazing aroma & taste. They are best had steaming hot with ghee on top and / or honey on side . Since i don't like ghee nor have sweet tooth , i relish these jackruit idlis plain or with mango pickle . Tastes so yum !!!
If you happen to visit my native in this season , each house will surely offer you something made from Jack fruit . With almost every house ,having a jackfruit tree in its backyard , this fruit's part and parcel of their life. I have already shared few jackfuit dishes here like Jackfruit Mulik , jackfruit sambar,Jackfruit Stir fry,Jack seeds rasam etc and today its time for another traditional dish . Do give a try ..i am sure you will love it.. here you go ...
RECIPE FOR JACKRUIT IDLI / KADUBU
- Peel, deseed and chop jackfruit roughly. Don't throw away the jackfruit seeds. You can make yummy side dish like rasam and stir fry out of it
- In a mixer, grind jackfruit pieces and jaggery .Add very little water. Jaggery will leave water as you grind.
- Once it smoothens a bit,add grated coconut and elaichi. Add no water or very very little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the ground jackfruit puree into a mixing bowl . Add little water say less than 1/4 cup to the blender jar , clean it and add it to the mixing bowl . Add rice rava and salt to it . Mix everything well . Allow the mixture to sit for 10-20 mins so that rice rava soaks well in the mix. After the mentioned time , check the consistency of the batter . It should be little thicker than idli batter . No fermentation required.
- Heat water in a steamer.Grease idli molds with ghee .Pour the batter into idli stand. In the authentic version , batter is steamed cooked in Teak leaves or banana leaves . But in cities they are not always available . So i have showed in idli mould .
- Steam for 15 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean ... its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a spoon or knife.
- That's it.. Sweet Jackfruit Idlis are ready to serve. Serve them hot or warm with a dollop of ghee and or honey or pickle . Tastes divine...
- If you don't have rice rava, you can make it at home like this: Soak raw rice for 1hr. Drain water completely. Spread it on a cloth or paper towel for about 10 mins,so that the grains become dry. Grind the rice in a mixer to a coarse consistency.Home made rice rava is ready..
- Instead of rice rava you can do this with normal upma rava too. Procedure is same . just roast rava lightly and add.
- The batter of idli should not be watery. Else it will be mushy and soggy .
- Don't cut on the fruit quantity or coconut quantity . Else idlis will turn hard . In case you don't have sufficient fruit , increase coconut quantity .
- If you still want to cut the coconut quantity and don' t have adequate fruit.. you can add a pinch of baking soda to the batter . Your idlis will turn soft .
- When idli is done, remove the lid and set aside for 5 minutes so that you can de mould the idlis easily without breaking it.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !! Love ~Smitha