JACKFRUIT SEEDS RASAM / HALASINA BEEJADA SAARU - JACKFRUIT SEEDS RECIPE
During every summer we enjoy the seasonal crop - Jackfruit . If you happen to visit my native in this season , each house will surely offer you something made from Jack fruit . With almost every house, having a jackfruit tree in its backyard , this fruit is part and parcel of their life. The best part is, it is edible in all its stages. Tender raw ones goes for sabzi,curry etc,matured raw ones for chips and then comes the ripe fruit. Even the seeds of the fruit are not thrown off (YES !! ..you read it right). They too can be used in many delicacies..So today i have for you all " Jackfruit Seeds Rasam / Halasina beejada Saaru "- a spicy , delicious rasam made from Jack fruit seeds. Next time before you throw away the jack fruit seeds ... i am sure you would want to try this simple recipe....
Jackfruit seeds are very rich in digestible starch, protein and minerals. Since in my home we all love these seeds , every year the seeds are gathered from the ripe fruit, sun-dried on a separate plate or news paper sheet and later used in making gravies, stir fry , vada etc . I love to eat it as snack too by roasting or steaming it .The seeds have buttery texture and slightly sweetish taste .
The time consuming part in using jackfruit seeds is its peeling . Once that's done rest is easy peesy . Jackfruit rasam recipe is almost same as horsegram rasam . Basically in this seeds are cooked with more water and strained to get a very flavorful broth which is later boiled with ground masala. The separated seeds is used to make a stir fry . But making of stir fry is not compulsory . if you have more seeds you can make them else cook just some 10 seeds and add them while grinding masala . This will give thickness and also enhance the taste of the rasam . I am showing the method of making both rasam and stir fry . I've split the recipe into 2 parts , so that the post doesn't become too long .. today i'll share Jackfruit seeds rasam and tomorrow will share Jack fruit seeds stir fry recipe ..Here we go...
JACKFRUIT SEEDS RASAM
- Separate the jackfruit seeds from the fruit and wash . Spread them on a paper or flat plate and air / sun dry them for 2-3 days .This helps to peel of the skin better, else they will be sticky.
- Cut each seed to 2 pieces and peel the white skin off from the seed . Making a cut in the seed and then peeling will help to peel easily .
- Add haldi and cook the seeds in enough water till they are done . You can either cook in cooker / direct . I had used cooker as i was making a stir fry too from the seeds , so the quantity was more.
- Drain the cooked jackfruit seeds using a colander . Save the broth for making rasam . keep aside the cooked jack fruit seeds to grind / make a stir fry later .
- In a mixer jar , take grated coconut , diced onion , cooked jack seeds ,rasam powder and tamarind. Add some water and grind to a smooth paste .
- Next to the jack seeds broth ( water ) add ground masala , slit green chilli,curry leaves and salt. Keep on flame to boil . Mix well and add water to get the desired consistency .
- Allow it to boil .Switch off .Garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Finally prepare tempering.Take a small kadai . Add ghee , mustard seeds , jeera ,garlic or hing . Allow the mustard to splutter . Switch off .Pour it over jack seeds rasam .
- Serve hot Jack fruit seeds rasam with steamed rice .
This rasam tastes good when fresh . and Surprisingly , it tastes best next day You can either use garlic / hing in tempering depending on which flavour you like .If you want you can omit onion .
Thanks for reading the post....please drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!