JHATPAT RAVE GULIYAPPA / INSTANT RAVA PANIYARAM /INSTANT APPE
Guliyappa is a famous and common breakfast dish in South India.It is known by other names in different states like paddu,gundpongalu,paniyaram,gulittu,appe or ponganalu etc.They are basically a shallow fried bite sized breakfast or snack recipe,made usually with dosa batter /left over idly batter.But it has subtle variations from region to region.Guliyappa can be made plain,spiced or sweet.They are crisp from out and soft from within.It is cooked on a special skillet with the molds known as paddu pan / paniyaram pan /Ebleskiver Pan.You will see in the pics below, the guliyappa pan i use at home.
Previously these guliyappas were available only in very few restaurants.But now its something which has caught up like wildfire in restaurants these days as "special of the day". Making these at home is a very simple affair if you have ready dosa batter.But today i am sharing with you all an instant variety of these traditional guliyappas -"Rawa guliyappa" -made of semolina and curd.This recipe is a lot easier than the normal Guliyappa.You can skip worrying about the batter going unfermented during winter.I had some dill leaves handy and I popped it in too the batter and I must say that was the best decision. The aroma was heavenly and it gave the dish a mouth watering flavour. It was jusstt awesome. I am sure you too will enjoy this new taste.
So if you like a change from usual idly- dosa why not try this ?Since they are are bite sized and they make a great lunch box dish for children as well.Lets do this…all you need is
INSTANT RAVA PANIYARAM
- Wash and soak thin poha in little water for 5 mins.It would have taken in almost all water. mash them .
- Put rava, rice flour,poha, chana dal,buttermilk and salt in a vessel. Mix well by adding sufficient amount of water. Keep it aside for about 15-20 mins.(The consistency of the batter should be like that of thick milkshake.)If it absorbs water, add little more water to make it like thick milkshake .
- Add all chopped veggies to the vessel containing batter and mix well.Add soda and give a final mix.
- Heat the special guliyappa pan on medium heat. Put a few drops of oil in each hollow of the pan, so that the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Pour the batter into each hollow of the pan and cover the pan.Let the guliyappa cook on medium - low heat.You will notice the top is steamed and looked cooked. When the top looks cooked and bottom would have turned golden brown, turn the guliyappa with help of a small spoon.Allow it to cook uncovered for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and follow the same procedure with the rest of batter.
- Serve hot with chutney/sambar/chutney powder.
- Till i share the traditional paniyarams, enjoy these instant ones hot hot ..:)
- The batter should be not too thick or too watery.This has to be slightly thin than idli batter,but little thick than the dosa batter.
- Seasoning,flavoring you can add of your choice .You can add some other greens /grated carrot /sweet corn.
- The leftover batter can be used for making dosa as it comes very great.
- Always cook over low flame and you will get a crunchy and crisp outer while the interior of the paniyaram will be soft and spongy.
- Serve the guliyappas immediately while they are still hot and crisp because that's when they taste the best
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!