JOLADA PADDU / JOWAR ( SORGUM ) PANIYARAM / JOWAR APPE RECIPE
How many of you agree breakfasts are most important meal of the day ?? I strongly believe " Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper ” and hence keep searching for new breakfast varities to experiment in my kitchen . Recently , in one of the FB food groups i stumbled upon this " Jowar Paniyaram / Sorghum Appe / Jolada hittina Paddu " . It immediately caught my attention as it was new to me , looked soft n fluffy , simple recipe with handy ingredients .. and above all very very healthy . I went ahead and bookmarked the recipe as must try. I am glad i did try ..everyone loved them to the core. Now these Jowar Appe have entered my regular breakfast menu list. Its super healthy , gluten free and since it has no rice in it.. its diabetic friendly and weight watchers delight . If you are looking to include these millet in your diet , you must try this Sorghum Appe ...yes.. don't forget to pep it up with some seasoning , dip it in your favorite chutney and relish it hot.. Yumm !!
JOLADA PADDU / JOWAR APPE / SOGHUM PANIYARAM
To temper :
- Soak urad dal and methi seeds for about 4 hours .
- Grind it in a mixer to a smooth batter adding little water .
- To the ground urad n methi mix batter add jowar flour and salt.
- Mix well such that no lumps are formed . Close and keep the batter aside overnight to ferment well .
- Next morning , you will observe that the batter would have risen . Beat the batter slightly and adust the consistency .
- Prepare a tempering . Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds ,urad dal and channa dal . Let it splutter. Add curry leaves , g.chillies ,ginger and onion . Saute for 2-3 mins so that the raw smell goes. Pour the tempering to the batter . Add chopped dill leaves to the batter . Mix everything well .
- Heat the special appe pan on medium heat. Put a few drops of oil in each hollow of the pan, so that the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Pour the batter into each hollow of the pan and cover the pan.Let the appe cook on medium - low heat.When the top looks cooked and bottom would have turned golden brown, turn the appe with help of a small spoon.Allow it to cook uncovered for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and follow the same procedure with the rest of batter.
- Serve hot Jowar paniyaram with chutney and sambar .
- If you have whole jowar you can use it too instead of flour. Soak it for 4-5 hours and grind it seperately .
- The batter should be not too thick or too watery.This has to be slightly thin than idli batter,but little thick than the dosa batter.
- Seasoning,flavoring you can add of your choice .You can add some other greens /grated carrot /sweet corn.
- The leftover batter can be used for making dosa as it comes very great.
- Always cook over low flame and you will get a crunchy and crisp outer while the interior of the paniyaram will be soft and spongy.
- Serve the guliyappas immediately while they are still hot and crisp because that's when they taste the best
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!