How many of you agree breakfasts are most important meal of the day ?? I strongly believe ” Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper ” and hence keep searching for new breakfast varities to experiment in my kitchen . Recently , in one of the FB food groups i stumbled upon this ” Jowar Paniyaram / Sorghum Appe / Jolada hittina Paddu ” . It immediately caught my attention as it was new to me , looked soft n fluffy , simple recipe with handy ingredients .. and above all very very healthy . I went ahead and bookmarked the recipe as must try. I am glad i did try ..everyone loved them to the core. Now these Jowar Appe have entered my regular breakfast menu list. Its super healthy , gluten free and since it has no rice in it.. its diabetic friendly and weight watchers delight . If you are looking to include these millet in your diet , you must try this Sorghum Appe …yes.. don’t forget to pep it up with some seasoning , dip it in your favorite chutney and relish it hot.. Yumm !!
JOLADA PADDU / JOWAR APPE / SOGHUM PANIYARAM
- 1 cup Jowar Flour / Jolada hittu / Sorghum (see notes)
- 1/2 cup Urad dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup Dill leaves( sabsige Soppu ) ( optional ) ; chopped
- to taste Salt
To temper :
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 tablespoon Channa dal
- Curry Leaves few , roughly torn
- 3 nos Green Chillies , finely chopped
- Ginger Small piece ; finely chopped
- 1 no onion , medium size
- Soak urad dal and methi seeds for about 4 hours .
- Grind it in a mixer to a smooth batter adding little water .
- To the ground urad n methi mix batter add jowar flour and salt.
- Mix well such that no lumps are formed . Close and keep the batter aside overnight to ferment well .
- Next morning , you will observe that the batter would have risen . Beat the batter slightly and adust the consistency .
- Prepare a tempering . Heat oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds ,urad dal and channa dal . Let it splutter. Add curry leaves , g.chillies ,ginger and onion . Saute for 2-3 mins so that the raw smell goes. Pour the tempering to the batter . Add chopped dill leaves to the batter . Mix everything well .
- Heat the special appe pan on medium heat. Put a few drops of oil in each hollow of the pan, so that the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Pour the batter into each hollow of the pan and cover the pan.Let the appe cook on medium - low heat.When the top looks cooked and bottom would have turned golden brown, turn the appe with help of a small spoon.Allow it to cook uncovered for another couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and follow the same procedure with the rest of batter.
- Serve hot Jowar paniyaram with chutney and sambar .
- If you have whole jowar you can use it too instead of flour. Soak it for 4-5 hours and grind it seperately .
- The batter should be not too thick or too watery.This has to be slightly thin than idli batter,but little thick than the dosa batter.
- Seasoning,flavoring you can add of your choice .You can add some other greens /grated carrot /sweet corn.
- The leftover batter can be used for making dosa as it comes very great.
- Always cook over low flame and you will get a crunchy and crisp outer while the interior of the paniyaram will be soft and spongy.
- Serve the guliyappas immediately while they are still hot and crisp because that's when they taste the best