KARIBEVU SOPPINA CHUTNEY / CURRY LEAVES CHUTNEY
Is there any South Indian Cuisine that does not use Curry leaves in its tadka / tempering? If you ask any South Indian list of tempering ingredients even in their sleep they 'l not miss these aromatic curry leaves. Its known as " Karibevu Soppu " in Kannada .These leaves infuse their wonderful flavor to any dish they touch and make their presence felt. In spite of being a key seasoning ingredient in South Indian food, it is most often discarded while eating. The net result is, nutrient rich herb that is so good for health, never gets eaten. Curry leaves has many health benefits like they arrest premature graying of hair ,prevents hair loss, helps in digestion, control diabetes, lowers cholesterol and weight . What do they help in reducing weight? I'm sure this sentence might have prompted many people quickly make a note of the recipe...
Today i bring to you a recipe where curry leaves is the hero, ingesting all its good qualities into the dish. And taste wise curry leaves chutney is just yummm. They are just perfect to add that zing to any bland food. If you are looking for a spicy addition or accompaniment to a meal then this is it. The plus side is you could even eat it as a main course if you are not up to it to cook a full meal. All you have to do is mix it into some hot rice and a little ghee or coconut oil and wow, you have one delicious meal to savoir!
It is quiet simple to make and the best part is that you can store it in refrigerator for minimum 1 month. This recipe I think my mom learnt from her MIL who in turn learnt from her daughters MIL...Passing you all recipe of vintage traditional South Indian style Curry leaves Chutney.. Those who are short of time, these chutneys are saviors!
CURRY LEAVES CHUTNEY
To grind :
For Tempering :
- Remove the curry leaves from stem and wash them in water .
- In a pan throw curry leaves,coriander seeds,cummin seeds,pepper,red chillies,salt,tamarind and haldi. Add water and cook on medium flame till the curry leaves are cooked.You will notice they would have changed their color.Allow it cool .
- After it gets cooled, transfer the mixture to a mixer. Grind it along with coconut and optional jaggery .
- Adjust salt and tamarind level if required .
- In a kadai ,prepare the tempering.Heat a tablespoon of oil .Add the mustard seeds .When mustard seed starts popping, add garlic pieces and saute till they turn golden brown.Add curry leaves .
- Next transfer the ground chutney mixture to the kadai and stir well. Cook on medium flame for 4-5 mins stirring in between till the chutney gets desired consistency .The final little bit of sauteing and roasting helps in increasing the shelf life of the chutney.
- Done , our Curry leaves chutney is now ready to serve .....
- You can serve this chutney with anything like rice,chapathi,dosa, idli..... I love eating this with steaming hot rice & ghee.Store in airtight container in a fridge.They remain fresh for 1 month.
- Fresh curry leaves are best. If you do not get fresh leaves regularly, buy the curry leaves whenever available in the market, wash it well and separate the leaves from the stem. Spread it in a paper towel, remove moisture and store it in an air tight container.
- In case you dont like garlic flavor, you can replace it with Hing for flavor.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!