KHAMAN DHOKLA RECIPE / BESAN DHOKLA / INSTANT DHOKLA RECIPE
Today I am posting the recipe of "Khaman Dhokla" a Gujarati delicacy.I was first introduced to this Gujarati snack when I was in High school through a North Indian Sweet Shop, which sold Chaats as well as these Dhoklas. My brother would love them and would call them as "yellow idly " . But somehow I had never relished them then.
These Dhoklas again entered my life after marriage. When i got to know that my hubby loves Dhokla,and could finish a plate full of Dhokla alone, my first reaction was " 1 more Dhokla Fan ??!!! " .The next few months or years,to impress him with a soft, fluffy dhoklas i tried many versions, but Grrr....they were disasters. Just like many struggle to make fluffy idlies, i was struggling to make perfect dhoklas. I hate it when I don’t get recipes right. I had almost thought of giving up making dhokla from scratch and rely on Instant ready to cook packs . But somehow got motivated to give a final try...and Wow !!! The Dhoklas turned just perfect that time .
It had a soft, fluffy texture with slightly spicy,sour and salty flavors and a hint of sweetness.Now they are a regular feature in my home and it has never failed me.To add to that friends who have eaten these dhoklas, have repeatedly implored me for its recipe
Basically a Khaman Dhokla is a savory steamed cake made from fermented batter of seasoned chickpea flour,steamed into a spongy cake, then drizzled over with a spicy tempering mixture .This can be had as a snack ,or for breakfast .You can have it as such or with chutneys .The best thing about it is steamed and hence, is healthy and low calorie.
So here’s the Dhokla recipe which i have finally zeroed on :
KHAMAN DHOKLA RECIPE
To be mixed to the batter before steaming
- In a big bowl, add the besan, rava,buttermilk,salt and cooking soda and mix well to get a lump less batter, the consistency should be of idli batter, more of dropping not pouring consistency.
- Cover it and leave aside to ferment for 2-5 hours in some warm place. If you are in a hurry skip this step .
- After 3-4 hours, you will notice that the batter has got fermented little.
- Next,keep a pressure cooker / steamer for heating with enough water in the bottom.
- To the batter add oil, salt, sugar, green chili paste,ginger paste and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Grease a deep,flat and wide container with oil (I used the cooker container ).Also dust it little with Eno.
- When the water in the steamer starts boiling, mix eno and lemon juice and pour to the batter. Mix gently, you will see bubbles coming out.
- Then immediately pour the batter to a deep container until it is 2/3 full. Remember after the dhoklas are steamed they will puff up.Place the container carefully inside the steamer and cover with lid.
- Steam for about 15 minutes with lid covered (but without the weight/whistle).After 15 minutes, turn off heat.Remove the lid and prick it using toothpick or knife. If the knife comes out clean and does not have any batter sticking, then Dhoklas are done.Allow it to rest for 5 minutes in the cooker itself with lid opened.
- Take it out and keep aside.
Seasoning / Tadka
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds.when it crackles add sesame seeds hing and curry leaves. off.
- Add less than 1/2 cup water, sugar and lemon juice to the prepared seasoning.
- Using a small spoon pour it evenly over the steamed and cooled dhokla. Let it rest for a little while.This will keep them soft. You will observe that after sometime water would have absorbed by dhokla.
- Cut them into desired shapes square or diamond and garnish with coriander leaves and coconut before serving.
- Serve it hot or at room temperature with Green chutney,Sweet chutney or tomato ketchup.. Enjoyyy !!!You can also serve them as Dokhla chaat
- Remember that tadka/seasoning is important and needs to be done the right way. Adding water to the seasoning is also important as it moisturizes the dhokla.Else they would turn dry .
- After adding Eno just give a gentle mix in 1 direction.Mixing too much might make dhokla hard.
- Do not allow batter to rest for long time after adding eno salt.In case the batter quantity is more, sepearte into parts and add Eno to it just before that part is going to steaming.
- Steam dhokla on medium-low flame to make them spongy.
- In case you have some unexpected guests and dhokla is the thing you want to serve, Don't worry.Just omit the fermenting part ie keeping aside for 2-4 hrs part. Rest the procedure is same.But increase the quantity of Eno and lemon juice .Our Instant Dhoklas would be ready with 20 mins .
- You can also serve it as Dhokla Sandwich : layers of dhoklas sandwiched with green (chili-cilantro) chutney and sweet chutney , in the manner of "layer cakes"
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!