KHARA BATH RECIPE / RAVA BATH / RAVA VANGIBATH RECIPE - MASALA UPMA RECIPE
Today i have a famous tiffin dish from Karnataka that's very popular in darshini's especially Bangalore - Mysore region .Karnataka has numerous breakfast item .. and one such dish is " Khara bath / Rava Bath / Rava Vangibath " . This khara bath is little similar to Tamilanadu's Rava Kitchdi and a cousin of vegetable upma . Its spicy ,tasty and silky . Pair it with some coconut chutney and filter coffee ...aah makes a yummy indulgence for sure . This is how it is served in Brahmin’s coffee bar ( a famous joint ) in Bangalore. So are you ready to recreate it in your home.. here you go...
KHARA BATH / RAVA BATH
- Dry roast rava on medium flame until the aroma starts and turn light brown in color.Keep aside the roasted rava .
- Take a kadai. Add oil + ghee . Add mustard , urad and chana dal. When they splutter add cashew pieces , curry leaves , ginger and chilli . Saute till cashew becomes golden and crisp.When done , add chopped onion and capsicum . Saute till raw smell goes .
- Later add tomatoes and saute till they turn little soft.
- Now add all the finely chopped veggies, little salt and turmeric .
- After 1 minute , add vangibath powder and mix well .
- Add water and salt now and wait till water starts boiling nicely .
- When the water comes to a boil,simmer the flame and add roasted rava in one hand.Mix it using the other hand.
- Keep on medium and cook closed for 3-4 minutes on low flame till semolina is completely cooked .
- After the rava is cooked well,add grated coconut ,chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.Mix well and serve hot as such or with coconut chutney .
- Roasting of rava in medium flame is very very important for a great kharabath. Else we will end up with a sticky kharabath . But dont reduce less than that mentioned .
- Add more ghee and oil if you want exact hotel style kharabath.If you reduce oil and ghee in the recipe, khara bath may not have the same texture as in the picture.
- If you roast the rava well, you can increase the water quantity too .you will get nice soft kharabath .
- You can plus or minus veggies quantity and also variety of veggies used . You can also make them just with brinjals.
- To save time , if you want you can precook veggies a bit and add . And simultaneously heat water in a different stove and add hot water .This will reduce cooking time .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!