KODO MILLET IDLI DOSA RECIPE / VARUGU IDLI DOSA - MILLET RECIPES
Coming to today's post - " Kodo Millet Dosa n Idly " . Kodo millet is known as Kodra/Koden in Hindi,Harka in Kannada,Varugu Arisi in Tamil , Koovaragu in Malayalam & Arikelu in Telugu.The making of these idli dosas are similar to our normal regular dosa just that replace rice with kodo millet . That's it ... the result is super healthy nutrituous idli dosa. My kids couldn't find out the difference in the taste at all. Kodo millet is an absolute weight watchers delight and diabetic friendly too . So if you are looking for some healthy breakfast options / trying to incorporate millets in your diet .. go ahead this kodo millet idli dosa surely fits your criteria . Apart from being healthy, it is tasty,easy n will surely receive thumbs'up from all . A lovely variation from the normal rice n urad dal idli dosa....
KODO MILLET IDLI DOSA RECIPE
- Take kodo millet , urad dal and methi in a bowl . Wash nicely and soak for about 4 hours . Just 30 mins before grinding , wash and soak poha with rest of the ingredients.
- In a mixer / grinder , grind all the soaked ingredients adding very less water . if you intend to use same batter to make both idli dosa grind medium smooth . Transfer to a container , add salt and mix well . Set aside overnight / 6-10 hrs for fermentation
- Morning the batter would have fermented well. Mix well before pouring into greased idli moulds / making dosa .
To make dosa :
- Heat a tawa. Grease with oil.Pour a laddle full of batter..Spread it in circular direction .Drizzle few drops of oil or ghee around it.Cover and cook on medium flame for abt 1-2 mins.No need to flip over and cook . Once its done, the dosas come out easily from the tawa .
- Fold and serve crispy kodo millet dosa accompanied with chutney or sambar or chutney powder of your choice.
To make Idli :
- Heat water in a steamer.Grease idli molds with oil .Pour the batter into idli stand.
- Steam for 10-12 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean it means its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a spoon or knife.
- That's it soft, spongy and healthy kodo millet idlii's are ready to serve. Serve with Chutney / Sambar / Chutney Powder.
- Take care while grinding batter don't add too much water . If required you can add next day while making dosa / idly . If you add too much water and grind to smooth , idlis will turn soft and sticky .
- For best idli , its better to soak urad , methi n poha together n kodo millet seperate. Grind urad nicely to make smooth batter & later add soaked millet to the urad batter and grind ...so that millet becomes course .
- Urad dal : Kodo millet proportion i have used is 1 : 4 ie if you are using 1 cup urad ; then take 4 cup kodo millet .
- You can replace kodo millet with any other millet and follow the same recipe.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!