In my home, we all love yoghurt and in turn fans of dishes prepared with yoghurt as a base like Raita, Tambli ,sasime, kadi, majjige huli etc .These dishes adds are good for health as they add coolness to body, especially during summer.
From the long list of yoghurt based dishes i cook at home, today i bring to you ” Sasime ” or translated in English as “ mustard flavored coconut and yoghurtgravy“. This is one of the authentic preparation of costal Karnataka.Basically it is a gravy prepared by adding curd / buttermilk to a ground paste of mustard,coconut,chilli and you could use any vegetable.If you are planning rice and sambar/dal for lunch or dinner, then “Sasime” as a super side makes a wholesome and tasty meal.(Like raita ..) .The pungent mustard seeds in the gravy, gives this dish a wonderful aroma and taste. Try it and you will know what I mean.
The veggie i chose for today’s sasime is my all time favourite lady’s finger / Okra .I’m sure you are now going to say “okra with yogurt, that could be sticky “. But no !!! Okra when cooked in a correct procedure never turns sticky, gooey or gummy. It is also a good way to finish of those few remaining Okras sitting in the fridge.
Passing on a simple recipe of my mother’s which I love!
LADY'S FINGER SASIME
- 10 to 12 Okra Lady's Finger / -pieces
- 2 - 3 chilly Green
- 1/4 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Small cup coconut Freshly grated
- 1 cup Curd Butter Milk / (Should be little sour )
- to taste Salt
Wash and wipe the ladies finger. Note that okra should be wiped fully dry, else they would turn sticky.Chop them into small pieces.
Heat a pan/kadai and make a seasoning by adding oil ,mustard seeds, urad dal, broken red chilly and curry leaves.
After the mustard seeds splutter, add chopped ladies finger to it. Turn heat to medium low and fry the ladies finger till brown and crispy.It will take few minutes.Do not cover the lid or increase the flame.
Turn off the heat and let it cool.
Grind grated coconut, mustard seeds, green chilly and salt in to super fine paste. Add water /curd while grinding to get the consistency of chutney.
Add this paste and buttermilk/curd to fried ladies finger pieces.
Mix well and keep aside for 10-15 mins. Okra absorbs the yoghurt and plumps up giving it a unique flavorful taste.
Now,okra sasime is ready to serve. Suits best with rice / chapathi.Give it a try ... I'm sure you'll be addictive with its taste .
- You can replace green chilly with red chilly. It tastes equally good.
- Adjust the curd / buttermilk according to the consistency and sour level u prefer .
- Do not add mustard seeds more than 1/4 tbsp, as it will make the curry taste bitter .
- Frying bende till crispy is very important. It removes stickiness and gives nice taste.
- The only part which takes some time, is to fry the bhindi till crisp. Alternatively you could crisp the bhindis in microwave oven and then use it in the recipe.
- Instead of lady's finger you can use chopped ( onion /capsicum ) . Roast them too.rest of the procedure remains same .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!