MAKHANE KI KHEER / LOTUS SEEDS ( FOXNUTS ) KHEER
Today is Vijayadashami the day of victory . Wishing you all a very happy Vijayadashami ..may godess bring you happiness , success and prosperity . Its one of the most important festivals for Indians. I am sure every one are having lot of fun celebrating the festival with family and friends . To add to festive spirit i share today a simple and quick dessert ...the creamy , milky , healthy and extremely delicious " Phool makhane ki kheer / Lotus seeds Kheer ". Phool makhana kheer is often made during navratri fasting or vrat in North India . I too wanted to post this recipe before navaratri so that it could help few . But unfortunately couldn't as past few days i was very busy . Hmm.. better late than never... posting it today . You can relish this yummy makhane ki kheer for any occassion .
Few years back my dad was posted to Gwalior.During our regular grocery shopping we spotted something similar to popcorn that was white and round with some dark spots. On enquiring, the shopkeeper told that its called as Phool makhana or foxnuts.Now that was very new ingredient to us .Out of curiosity my mom picked a bag of it.Not knowing what to do the bag lied unused for next few months.Then came Navaratri and we were invited for a pooja in a neighborhood home. There it was the first time we tasted phool makhana kheer. It tasted awesome.We learnt that phool makhana was made commonly during fasting days in North India and many recipes can be made with it. They are also rich in minerals ,calcium and anti oxidants.Since then foxnuts makes frequent visit in my pantry and i make quiet a few dishes from it. I have already posted roasted makhana and today its time for makhane ki kheer .It is very easy yet delicious and healthy kheer recipe that can be enjoyed on regular days as well. You don’t need to be on fasting. Here we go....
MAKHANE KI KHEER
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside .
- In kadai / frying pan take a tsp of ghee . Fry cashew,badam n raisins in the ghee till golden brown and keep it aside.
- To the same kadai add one more tsp of ghee and roast makhana nicely till they are crisp .
- Cut 1/2 cup of roasted makhana to pieces and pulse remaining 1/2 cup in mixer. You need not do fine powder .
- Take milk in a pan and bring it to boil . Keep the flame on sim and boil well so that milk thickens and reduces a bit . Keep stirring in between so that milk doesn't get burnt .
- When milk has started to thicken , add sugar and condensed milk if using . Mix well .
- Now add both pulsed makhana and chopped makhana to the boiling milk . Simmer in low flame for 5-7 mins with regular stirring, kheer will be start becoming more thick now.
- Add cardamom powder,nutmeg, saffron, fried dry fruits and mix well.Simmer for a minute on low heat and switch off. Cover and rest kheer for atleast 5-10 mins so that makhana takes in all the flavours .
- Serve makhana kheer hot / warm / chilled .... i love chilled . Yummm !!!!
- Addition of condensed milk ie milkmaid is optional . The kheer will be more creamy and rich if you add it . I add it sometimes .
- Don't skip roasting of makhana step . It enhances the flavour .
- Add sugar to taste, if you want more sweet then add more sugar.
- If you want you can use MTR badam powder for extra taste. Sprinkle it along with elaichi powder.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!