MANGO THOKKU RECIPE / MAVINAKAYI THOKKU / GRATED MANGO PICKLE
How can i miss a recipe from raw mango when the market is all flooded with it ? Last season I couldn't share much Mango recipes here , but this time i don't want to miss . Last week i kick started the season with a simple raw mango chutney and aam panna and today it's " Raw Mango Thokku " . Made from freshly ground spice, high on flavors with no preservatives and artificial coloring this home made Grated Mango Pickle tastes way way better than any store bought pickles .Its spicy , tempting and quiet addictive . Do try this mouthwatering simple pickle this season and relish it with anything and everything . Here you go...
MANGO THOKKU RECIPE
To temper :
Masala / Spice Powder
- Wash ,pat dry,peel and grate raw mangoes.
- In a kadai / thick pan , heat a tbsp of oil . Splutter mustard seeds . Add curry leaves .
- Later add grated mangoes. Saute for 1-2 mins. Add salt and turmeric.Give it a mix.
- Keep the flame low and allow the grated mangoes to cook nicely. In 4-5 minutes, the mango will become soft.
- Meanwhile , in another kadai dry roast mustard seeds and methi . let the mustard splutter and methi be aromatic. Keep aside . To the same kadai ,add few drops of oil . Roast Chilli When chilli is done, add hing and switch off . If you are using chilli powder , skip red chilli frying step
- Powder all roasted spices to a fine powder . Keep aside
- When mangoes get cooked , add powedered masala powder and 2-3 tbsp of oil . If you have skipped roasting red chilli s, add red chilli powder too. Mix well so that everything combines well . Stir the thokku in between so that it doesn't get burnt .
- Keep the flame low and allow the thokku to combine well till the oil oozes out of the thokku.Switch off the stove . This may take around 10-15 mins on medium flame.
- That's it our spicy Mango Thokku is ready to enjoy. Store in air tight jar once its cooled to room temperature . Stays good for about 15-20 days without fridge and if refrigerated remains good for months together. Tastes awesome with idli , dosa, chapathi , bread, plain rice, curd rice etc.
- Select raw , firm sour mangoes .
- If you want you can add garlic too while tempering .
- For much quicker version , you can replace the roasted spice powder with just chilli powder or fry mustard - methi and omit chilli . later add chilli powder .
- The pickle when done should be more spicy , salty and tangy the first day . The taste will get balanced in next 2-3 days .
- Don't add water while doing it and also fry nicely so that water is evaporated . This will increase the shelf life.
- Use a clean dry spoon always and store in air tight container . Stays fresh and good for a long time. Can take it while travelling . It doesnt spoil .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!