MENASINAKAI BAJJI / MIRCHI KE PAKORE /GREEN CHILLI FRITTERS
Who doesn't love Bajjis? I am sure there are many out there who are a die hard fan of these deep fried snack.Its a perfect snack on those,rainy gloomy and chill weather. Bajjis accompanied with a cup of hot tea .. awesome ..What more do we need for a nice evening refreshment!! Its also one of those quick snacks that can be fixed when you have unexpected guests knocking at your door.
We can prepare bajjis with many vegetables like potato,onion,raw banana etc. but for today the chosen variety is "Mirchi Bajji" .Mirchi bajji is a fiery popular street food all over India ,especially in Karnataka, the cartwheel vendors make delicious bajjis.It is incredibly easy to prepare at home.
Only thing is don't for get to make them in small quantity as they are simply irresistible and you might end up feeling guilty cos of overeating.. This Bhajji tastes so yum ...
Every food will have some special memories attached to them. Like wise this mirchi bajjii ,reminds me of my college tour to Ooty where we had mirchi bajji eating competition.And wow those bajjis were heavenly. They used to serve the bajji’s with a chutney and i still don't know the recipe of that chutney.
There are many variations for preparing mirchi bajji. This time ill post a simple version of it. Next time ill post a stuffed variation in this.The most commonly used chillies for mirchi bajji is Ooty chillies also known as banana peppers/Bhavnagari chillies .It is slightly fleshy and mildly spicy. Carefully pick the bigger white chillies as they are less hot. There are many variations to it. So here is the simple and easy recipe for you all......enjoy ..
- Slit the green chillies vertically retaining their stem and deseed them .
- Mix jeera powder and salt. Apply this mixture on the slit chillies, seeds side as shown in pic.Set aside for abt 10mins.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix besan,rice flour,jeera,haldi,chilly powder,soda and salt. Add water little by little.Mix such that no lumps are formed. Batter should be of dosa batter consistency.Add hot oil to the batter and mix well.
- In a deep pan / kadai , heat enough oil to deep fry the bajjis.
- When the oil is hot ,Dip one by one the chillies into the batter and drop carefully in to hot oil.
- Cook both sides until golden brown and crisp .Once done transfer the bajjis on a absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately, hot hot as it is or with mint chutney or with ketchup .
- If you want you can add oma / ajwain to the batter instead of jeera.
- In the above , i have used rice flour to make the bajjis little crisp.You can also add cornflour instead of that.
- The batter should be right consistency.Too thin, will absorb lot of oil, if thick it will not cook properly.
- Cook in medium flame to ensure the bajjis get cooked inside.Also to make it crispy.
- You can omit adding jeera powder to the slit chillies.Instead u can make it plain be rubbing only salt /salt +saunf powder/salt+chat masala... be creative, see how you like..
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!