Scorching summer is just round the corner …Cooling body naturally with natural cooling food is the best way to beat the summer heat . So today i’ll share a very healthy recipe of “ Menthya Dosa / Fenugreek seeds Dosa ” , apt for summer , as they naturally reduce the body heat . As the name suggests , methi seeds are the star ingredients of this dosa,making them taste fabulous with a tempting fenugreeky flavor and aroma.Trust me they won’t taste bitter…Do try for sure and you will agree with me..
As we all are aware,fenugreek seeds has lot of medicinal values.They improve digestion,prevents constipation,gastritis, reduces cholesterol and blood sugar levels.Fenugreek seeds are also traditionally used to enhance milk production in lactating mothers in India. I remember my mom giving me almost everyday these fenugreek dosas after my delivery for initial few days.
As guessed,this traditional recipe is passed to me from my mom.You can make these dosas thick like utappam ( how i prefer ) or thin crispy dosas ( the way my hubby n kids prefer). It tastes great either way;soft ,delicious….Here goes the recipe…
Wash and soak rice and methi seeds separately ; methi for about 5-6 hours , rice for 2-4 hours.
Now grind only methi seeds along with water in a grinder or mixer for about 5-10mins.Batter will become fluffy and little smooth.
Then add the rice with the required quantity of water.Grind both the ingredients together to get a smooth batter.Lastly add salt to the batter and mix well.
Transfer the batter to a container and allow it to ferment over night / 8-10 hours.
In the morning, you will see that the batter would have fermented well. It would have raised. Mix well using a laddle. Add water if required.
Heat a tawa. Grease with oil.Pour a laddle full of batter. Make it thick or thin dosa as you wish.Spread it in circular direction if you like thin crispy dosa or spread just a little if you prefer soft thick dosas.Drizzle few drops of oil or ghee around it.Cover and cook on medium flame for abt 1-2 mins.No need to flip over and cook.
Super soft and healthy fenugreek dosa is ready. Serve hot with ghee and chutney or chutney pudi or sambar or coconut milk.Enjoy making healthy food....
- Fenugreek seeds must be soaked well before grinding. It should have turned little soft.
- This dosa batter takes little more time to ferment than the normal batters.The batter must have well fermented. Else they will have tinge of bitterness.
- This dosa would be super soft because of extra quantity fenugreek seeds. In case for some reasons, your dosas are sticky, you are having problem making them or taking off from tawa , don't panic, add some rice flour to the batter and mix well.
- To the fermented batter you an add chopped veggies.
- In the morning , to the fermented batter, you can add jaggery and make sweet fenugreek dosa.
Tips for fermenting during cold weather : During cold weather, the batters wont ferment / raise well. In that case,
- keep the batter container closed inside an oven with lights on. Or preheat the oven, and keep the batter container inside it with lights on.
- Take a big cooker. Fill it 1/4th warm water. Keep the batter container inside the cooker. Close the lid.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!