METHI RICE RECIPE - 2 / URAD DAL RICE / IYENGAR STYLE MENTHE BATH
People who are regular here might have observed that there are many greens especially methi recipes. Fenugreek leaves are used in various ways in my home. I have already posted aloo methi , methi thepla ,Methi Dhokli, Methi dosa, Methi Sambar,Methi pulao , methi muthia and Methi Chutney and today it is time for a variety rice prepared using Methi leaves . This " Methi Rice / Menthe Soppina Bath " is very tasty ,very healthy and very easy to prepare . I guess many would not be knowing this way of making " Fenugreek leaves Rice " . I learnt this recipe from my mom who in turn learnt it from one neighbour belonging to Iyengar community . The aunty used to call this rice as "Menthyam Ullundu Sadam " . I still remember she used to make this rice frequently during festivals as it has no onion - no garlic, no garam masala . Inspite of being mildly spiced this dish looks so vibrant and the flavor of methi shines through . Yes ghee , pepper and perfectly roasted spices are the key to this dish . Depending on your preference, you can adjust the spices as well as the quantity of methi. Do try this simple homely dish and let me know i you liked it .... Here you go !!!
IYENGAR STYLE MENTHE BATH
To Temper :
- Wash rice and cook it with little salt in the proportion 1 : 2 / 2.5 ie 1 glass rice ,2 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.It has to be cooled properly before using.
- Meanwhile ,remove hard stems of methi leaves. Use only leaves and tender stems.Wash the methi leaves and chop them coarsely.
- Dry roast the ingredients ,mentioned under ' to roast and powder ' and keep it aside .
- Once the roasted ingredients for masala is cooled ,transfer into mixer and fine powder .
- In a kadai / pan heat oil / ghee . Once its hot, splutter mustard seeds ; add curry leaves and groundnut / cashew and fry till they are golden brown . I like cashew .
- Add chopped methi leaves and little salt . Fry well till methi leaves cooked .
- Once they are cooked , add masala powder . Mix well .
- Add grated copra , mix well and switch off .
- Masala for Methi rice rice is ready . This masala should not be too dry or liquidy . Hope you can make out the consistency from the picture
- Add cooked rice to the methi masala. Drizzle some salt , lemon juice ( optional ) and mix well . Taste test .
- Serve iyengar style Methi rice hot with papad (fritters).
- You can omit methi leaves and do plain urad dal rice too . Same recipe minus methi leaves .
- Usage of ghee is preffered for this recipe as it gives a nice taste .
Thanks for reading the post....please drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!