MISAL PAV RECIPE / SPICY KOLHAPURI MISAL PAV / USAL ~ MISAL PAV
Do you like Street food ? I just lovvvvve them...i know its not only me.. i think for many of us, the word "Street food" brings smile and excitement,makes mouth water and ticks the brain to make a long list of yummies to eat,in your next outing . Does "Misal Pav" too feature in that list ? "Usal ~ Misal Pav" is relished as a breakfast as well as a snack through out Maharashtra .Its one of the popular street food in Maharashtra along with pav bhaji ,dabeli , vada pav ,bhel puri , mumbai sandwich etc. " Kolhapuri Misal Pav "is very spicy, tasty ,lip smacking, mouthwatering!!!!
My husband lived in Mumbai for many years and has tasted lot of Mumbai street foods.He has some fond memories of his favorite street food vendors where he would head to cater to his‘chatpata’ or ‘teekha’ cravings . After marriage he kept pestering me for many Maharashtrian cuisines . It was then Google helped me .Over the years with few trial and errors now i can proudly say i have mastered in many authentic Maharashtrian dishes and they have become regular dishes at my place.I have already shared capsicum zunka , patra , kanda bhaji , thalipeeth , mumbai sandwich ,veg tomato omelette and now Misal pav .Stay tuned for some more.
If you like spicy hot food then Kolhapuri misal pav is something tailor made for you.Spicy usal is topped with a spicy thin gravy ( Kat / tarri / rassa ) and is served with a soft fresh pav ( bread ). A mixture of farsan ,onion ,tomato and coriander leaves enhances the taste. A squeeze from the lime adds the extra tang. Yumm. drooling right ... Then why delay..enjoy them making at home, in a more hygienic and more better way.Yes ,the process is bit lengthy but not all difficult.Here goes the recipe..
For Kat / Raasa (thin Spicy Gravy):
- How to sprout Matki - Wash and soak matki(moth beans) for 6-7 hrs in water and wash it once with fresh water and drain the excess water. Keep it closed as such in a warm place or tie in a muslin cloth and keep in hot case or use a sprout maker to make sprouts.It will take 12-15 hrs.
- Steam the matki sprouts in cooker with a pinch of salt for 8-10 mins.Cook potatoes and dice them to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai /pan and crackle mustard seeds and add hing,jeera and curry leaves .Saute for half a minute.Add chopped onions and green chillies and fry until they turn translucent.
- Add steamed moth beans and cubed potatoes .Fry for 2 mins.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and salt .Mix well. Sprinkle little water,close a lid and cook for few minutes so that salt and other spices are absorbed.
- Switch off. Squeeze little lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix Pav Buns.
To prepare Matki Usal:
To prepare Kat / Tarri / Rasa (Thin Spicy Gravy):
- Dry roast dry coconut pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp Oil in a pan and add chopped onions ,garlic and chopped ginger.Fry until they turn slight golden brown in color.
- Add tomatoes,fry till mushy.Switch off and cool completely.
- Once cool , grind coconut and onion tomato mix .Grind to a very smooth paste.
- Again take a pan and add 2 tbsp of oil . Temper with mustard and hing.Add ground paste.Fry for a min.
- Add coriander powder,cumin powder,turmeric powder,red chilli powder , salt and sugar.Mix well and saute well till it leaves oil .
- Add about 3 cups of water ,tamarind juice and garam masala powder.Boil well for about 5-10 mins.The consistency should be watery, so add more water if required.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
Way to eat Misal Pav :
Squeeze lemon juice, gently mix. Take a piece of pav and dip it in rasa and eat it together with farsan and usal.
- ** Goda masala is used widely in Maharashtrian cuisines as garam masala is used in north indian dishes.If its available you can add goda masala or replace it with garam masala. ill soon share the method of doing goda masala at home.
- Usal can be prepared with mixed sprouts or moong (green gram) sprouts too.
- Misal is supposed to be spicy,fiery, oily .You can make it less spicy and oily according to your requirements.So adjust the masalas accordingly
- Usully pav with misal pav are served without roasting. If you want you can roast and have.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!