Today i have for you all a very common sweet or call it a candy that’s popular throughout India. Its so tasty ,very addictive and remains one of my favorites since childhood. Hmm.. I am speaking about our “Chikki “. I know like me there are many out there who can go on munching these brittles. There are many types of chikki one can make and the most common being Groundnut Chikki.But since i have already shared peanut laddu , i thought this time let it be ” Mixed Nuts / Dry fruits Chikki “.
Growing up i remember me an my brother used to fight for these chikkis. Memories are so fresh…and as per me food plays a major role in refreshing memory. Ok Ok.. let me not go deep into my memories and start a history class here.Back to today’s post mixed nuts chikki . One can enjoy it as a snack or a dessert. It is crunchy and crispy just like brittle, and it’s sweetness comes from jaggery or sugar. In the peanut laddu i have used jaggery,so this time i’ll show how to make chikki using sugar.They are quiet easy to make with just a few ingredients.Just that you need to be really quick towards the end.With festival season just around the corner, this must be the perfect time for you all to try this very healthy snack / dessert… here we go….
Please excuse for the quality of pics.. after my 1st click my camera battery died and i had to manage with mobile only :(…
MIXED NUTS OR DRY FRUIT CHIKKI RECIPE
- 1 cup Mixed Nuts (I used Almonds, Pistachios and Cashew nuts equal quantity)
- 1/4 cup White sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsps Ghee For greasing + extra for rolling pin and the foil or tray or kitchen slab.
- 1 pinch Baking soda ( Optional, makes chikki brittle but not hard on teeth )
- Firstly cut almonds, pista and cashew nuts into thin slices.
- Heat a pan or kadai, add the sesame seeds and dry roast on a medium flame till they splutter.Remove and keep aside to cool.
- To the same pan add a tsp of ghee and roast all the mixed nuts for about a minute or two.This will enhance the tastes of nuts.Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Grease the tray or aluminum foil with the ghee. Similarly grease the rolling pin which you’re going to use for flattening the chikki.
- Next add a tsp of ghee to the pan. Rotate the pan such ghee gets coated to the pan.Add sugar ,spread and 2 tsp of water.
- Keep the flame high and keep stirring.When sugar starts melting reduce the flame to low.
- Once the sugar melts its start changing its color. This is known as caramelization or browning of sugar.Keep stirring continuously.Sugar syrup will change to light brown color.
- When sugar changes to light brown color, switch off and immediately add a pinch of baking soda and roasted mixed nuts.
- Mix nuts and caramelized sugar well.Pour it over greased slab and flatten using rolling pin.
- When it is warm draw lines according to desired shape.
- Once cool cut and store in air tight container. Enjoy delicious crispy crunchy Mixed nuts chikki
- Peanuts,sesame ,cashew or any other chikki can be done similarly following the same method.
- You can also add roasted flax seeds to it.
- Once sugar starts melting you have to stir continuously n have to be really quick. Once it caramelizes, you have to add nuts quickly, mix quickly ,pour quickly n mark quickly. Else sugar will cool and harden to a lump .
- You can also use jaggery instead of sugar.
- Addition of ghee while making sugar syrup gives a nice glaze to the chikki.
- Don't add more water to sugar.
- If u see clearly in the pic, my chikki has not got proper shapes .thats because by the time i took a quick pic, chikki had cooled n i could'nt draw lines on it. So don't forget t draw lines n shape your chikkis when its warm only.