MIXED VEGETABLE KOOTU / KARNATAKA STYLE KOOTU RECIPE
Though we all like variety of food ..love eating in restaurants...end of the day if you ask anyone,nothing can beat simple home cooked food.Today's post " Mixed Veg Kootu " is one such dish made from mixed veg and lentils,that is very popular in South India. Though its made throughout South India , recipe in each region is different . That's the reason i have mentioned in my post heading as Karnataka Style Mixed Veg Kootu . This style kootu is prepared in and around Bengaluru and Mysuru region. Kootu ; delicious alternate to sambar is packed with protein, vitamins and minerals and is easy to make.Tastes perfect with hot rice accompanied with some ghee .
I had earlier shared here cabbage kootu which is entirely differnt from veg kootu bith recipe as well taste wise . To make mixed veg kootu you can add vegetables like carrot, beans ,potato, brinjal, beans, cluster beans, broad beans, pumpkin, ash gourd, yam , peanut , black eyed peas ,green peas etc.Usually no souring ingredient like tomato / tamarind is added to it . And also its a no onion garlic dish . Addition of pepper gives a unique flavor to this dish . So are you ready to jot down the recipe Karnataka Style Veg kootu recipe ... here you go ...
RECIPE FOR MIXED VEG KOOTU - KARNATAKA BRAHMIN STYLE
To roast and grind
- Clean and chop all vegetables ( carrot ,beans, cluster beans ( gorikayi ) ,potato, yam, etc) into bite size pieces .
- Add a pinch of haldi and Pressure cook vegetables for 1-2 whistles .Don't overcook .
- Clean and Wash Toordal and groundnut . Add a big pinch of haldi and pressure cook them together for 3-4 whistles
- Take a small kadai or pan . Add a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients under ‘to grind’ category except coconut. Do not fry coconut.
- Grind the fried masala with coconut and little water to make smooth paste.
- Transfer cooked dal , vegetables and ground masala paste to a vessel . Add water to get desired consistency.Add salt, jaggery and mix . Bring kootuto boil . Taste test
- Now heat oil in kadai and temper with the ingredients mentioned and add it to the kootu and stir well.
- That's it simple mixed veg kootu is ready to serve. Enjoy it with hot rice drizzled with few drops of ghee .
- You can use all veggie mentioned or which ever is available
- Dont skip pepper
- Typically tamarind is not added to this curry . however if you want can add little
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me .. and also if you liked the recipe don't forget to press the share button .... !!
Love ~ Smitha