NIGER SEEDS ( KARALE ) / UCHELLU ( GURELLU ) CHUTNEY POWDER
Have you heard of " Niger Seeds / Karale " ? . I am not sure , how many of you know it / have seen it ... but its very popular in North Karnataka n parts of Maharashtra ...one of the must in pantry . In Kannada its known as " Uchellu / Gurellu " and in Marathi " Khurasni " . So today for all of you , i am sharing " Uchellu or Gurellu Chutney Pudi / Karale or Khurasni Chutney powder / Niger Seeds powder " - one of a family of dry chutneys that are very popular in North Karnataka and Maharashtrian homes. A scoop of this flavorful chutney can liven up even the simplest of meals. Its tasty, spicy and full of flavors . Uchellu chutney powder + curd with ragi rotti / Jowar roti ...Yumm out of this world combo....
I know all these names are aliens to people who have never heard that one such seed called niger seeds exists.Look wise they resemble slightly like black sesame .. but are longer than them , taste wise there is no similarility . They are so aromatic , flavorful ....just divine.
The making of chutney powder out of these seeds is actually very similar to peanut chutney powder i had shared earlier . I got to learn this recipe from my granny (who's from North Karnataka) through my Mom.Its a very very simple recipe but very versatile spice mix . They can be used as a side dish with idli,dosa ,rotti etc, can be sprinkled to your salad , stuff into veggies like brinjal ,bhindi etc or making your subzis more yummy by adding a tsp of it . Whichever way this uchellu chutney powder will surely spicen up your meal. Do try friends .. i am damn you will just love it....
UCHELLU CHUTNEY POWDER
- Dry roast peanuts in a kadai or microwave , till the skin peels off or brown spots appear on them. keep aside .
- In a frying pan / kadai ,dry roast niger seeds( uchellu ) on a low flame till it crackles . keep aside .
- Roast garlic flakes in the kadai such that its raw smell goes. Keep aside .
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the frying pan. Keep the flame on low and roast red chillies and tamarind.Mid way,add curry leaves, and continue to roast till red chillies,tamarind and curry leaves have turned crisp. Transfer to a plate .
- When everything has cooled to room temperature, transfer everything to a mixer jar , add some salt and grind to a medium coarse powder . don't make it too smooth. That's it Uchellu chutney pudi is ready.Store it in air tight container. If handled properly can store for months together.
- To serve mix a spoonful of Niger seeds chutney powder with a dash of ghee / butter /oil /curd and serve as an accompaniment for Idly /Dosa/Paniyaram/Jowar Roti etc ...even hot rice. Can also add a teaspoon of it while making stuffed brinjal , sprouted moong curry etc . Ragi Rotti / Jowar roti with Uchellu chutney powder is like match made in heaven .... Tastes just awesome.
- Typically this chutney powder is made very spicy and garlicky . So adjust as per your taste .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!