Today’s recipe is a fulfilling healthy dish that is loaded with fiber ,high on nutrition and low on calories..a perfect choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick breakfast recipe. That’s Oats Upma . Addition of veggies makes it colorful,more nutritious and more yummy…
I am not a big fan of oats. Oats are known for their health benefits because of its dietary fibers, iron and cholesterol reducing agents. After knowing that they have so many health benefits and is good for weight loss i started including oats in my diet from past few years. I can’t eat oats with milk and fruits .Over the years i have accepted oats in few dishes and Oats Upma is one such.
Making oats upma is very easy and is perfect if you want to fix up something healthy in a jiffy. You can make it plain or with veggies.If you give little bit of attention while cooking , a flaky perfect oats upma can be yours.So lets now see how to make a perfect oats upma… are you ready ?? Here you go…
Dry roast oats evenly in a pan or kadai such that they are aromatic and slightly brown in color. Take care not to burn it, keep aside.
To the same pan add oil and heat. Add chana dal, urad dal and mustard. Fry till they turn golden brown and mustard splutters.Later add curry leaves,onion,green chilli and capsicum. Saute for a minute or two till the onion turns slight pink.
Add finely chopped mixed veggies. Add some salt ,turmeric and saute for 3-4 mins.
To that add roasted oats and mix well.
Later , add 1/4 cup hot boiled water.Cover and cook for 2 minutes. DON'T ADD FULL WATER, ADD JUST HALF THE AMOUNT. THIS WILL GIVE OATS UPMA NICE TEXTURE. THEY WON'T TURN MUSHY
Later again sprinkle the remaining water , mix well and cook covered for another 2 minutes with the flame on sim .Finally add coriander leaves , lemon juice and give a gentle mix.
Relish Oats Upma when hot. After eating you will surely agree, diet food need not not mean boring bland food.
- You can skip the vegetables and just make it as plain upma too.If you want you can grated coconut too.
- You can dry roast oats before itself and store it so that its easier to make during the morning hours.
- You can use precooked veggies too.
- Don't add the water fully, just add little by little and cook covered .This way it wont turn too gooey but still gets cooked moist.
- Always serve hot . Once they cool they might become little dry .So if you want to reheat it again sprinkle 2-3 tblsp of water and sauted for 2 minutes in a low flame. It will turn out moist and soft.
- I use quick cooking oats. If you are using rolled oats or steel cut oats, you can increase a bit water quantity.