PAPAYA HALWA RECIPE / HALWA RECIPES / PAPAYA RECIPES
Few days back my parents had visited us .While coming they had bought a big papaya that grew in their backyard . But alas !!! While bringing , the papaya had got over riped and had become mushy . My kids love papaya but only when it is semi ripe . There are no takers for mushy papaya . But I didn't want to dissapoint my parents by throwing away the papaya and decided to make something out of it . The first simple choice was obviously a shake but dropped it as the quantity was more . Then my mom suggested about making Papaya halwa . Though i liked the idea.. i was not sure how papaya halwa might taste .The halwa came out superb and got a big thumbs up . Good news is that It does not require any expert cooking skills and much ghee too. I now know what to do if i have over ripe papaya .....
- Wash papaya and peel off the skin . Dice and mash papaya nicely to get a fine puree. If the papaya is over ripe as mine , you can easily mash manually and your puree will be perfect . Else use a mixer or foodprocess
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a thick bottom kadai / pan and saute raisins ,cashews and almonds in it ,one by one.When they turn golden brown remove and keep aside.
- To the same kadai ; add papaya puree and sugar and cook together until the sugar melts and puree gets blended with sugar . You will observe that the papaya puree color has changed . This may take 2-3 minutes .
- At this stage add ghee and mix well . Continue to cook uncovered on medium flame and keep mixing in between to avoid sticking to the bottom .
- You will observe that after about 8-10 mins , halwa starts to become thick and looks like jam ( the mixture becomes one big mass),turn off the stove.
- Add roasted nuts ,cardamom powder and Mix well.
- Thats it..Papaya halwa is ready...Enjoy it hot / warm / cold..Stays good when refrigerated up to 10 days.
- If you want to make sugarless , you can replace sugar with honey / dates . If using dates , soak them in water for some time , grind to paste and mix with papaya puree . Rest the procedure is same . I have done it once , and it tasted great .
- If you want to make it more thick and add some consistency , dilute a tsp of cornflour in water . Add this solution to the papaya mix , while adding ghee and mix -stir. this will make your halwa mre thick .
- If you want you can spread it on a greased plate and cut into pieces or serve it in bowls .
Hey between did i tell you that this happens to be my 275 th post !!! I hope that you will continue to shower yur love and motivate me to reach many more milestones...... Thanks for all the support !!!!
Thanks for reading the post....please drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!